Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

luncheon for pastors..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

luncheon for pastors..

ok, Pit masters.. I need to do pulled pork for 15 men.. I know I can find out on line.. but.. how much pork butt do I need to feed this many.

Easy peasy. Let's assume right now that you serve them two generous pulled pork sandwiches, 1/3 pound of meat on each one, or 2/3 pound per person. The math says you need 10 pounds of meat, but since your shrinkage on pulled pork is close to 50%, you need a pre-cook weight of about 20 pounds to ensure you have plenty. 2-3 butts should get you there.

A common rule of thumb would be about 1 lb pre-cooked meat per person, but you want to err on the side of caution. Better to have a little too much than a little too little if you know what I mean!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And of course, be prepared for the leftovers!

Two 10 lbers will do it.

Comment

Meathead recommends in his party planning article that, with sides, 1/2 pound raw weight per person is adequate, but cautions that if it's all men or all teenage football players (in other words all bigger appetites) you may want to go 1lb raw weight per person. If the eaters will be eating a plate full of pork, limited or no sides, go more than that. If it's all grandma's bingo friends then 1/2lb or less would likely suffice.

Comment

thank you gentlemen.... just read the article by Meathead.. appreciate your responses.. Have a great weekend.

Comment

Agreed, amount of sides will figure in. If you're doing potato salad and baked beans with it, you're going to use less meat, for sure, but if it's just bagged chips or something, the meat will be gone before you know it.

I agree, 20 lbs pre-cooked weight is a good guesstimate. If you want to be absolutely, doubly sure, get some carry out containers and plan on sending some home, and up it some more. No one complains about taking home awesome BBQ, I've found!

Comment

VernR If you are not serving on buns the consumption will be higher, but I think 10 pounds will do it. Twenty pounds will give you generous left overs.

Comment

thank you all... it worked and all were very happy with the finished products.. .. had enough left over to feed our church staff as well.. I did make a few new "bbq" followers..

Comment

Great! Well done! How much did you start with and how many did you feed?

Comment

That’s great to hear...👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here