Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Ribs Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Ribs Issue

The setting: Sunday, temps in the mid 30s, never below freezing. Sun was out and on the kettle most of the cook until the end which was just before sunset. Two racks of baby backs (though one was significantly meatier than the other.) Smoking on 22" kettle, with the Slow N Sear set up for low and slow. Lighting method: starter +12 briqs in one corner of the SNS, then added more fuel and wood chips (hickory and applewood) once they were fully started. I didn't completely fill the SNS with briqs, which I think was a mistake. I had the fireboard going with 1 probe over the grill rack and one probe in one of the rib racks.

The ribs were purchased frozen on Friday afternoon, set to thaw in the fridge Friday evening, and taken out to dry brine late Saturday evening. They were still very slightly frozen at that time, but they were fully thawed by the time I got them out of the fridge to prep them for the smoker Sunday morning. I used Memphis Dustâ„¢ with an extra helping of brown sugar. Unfortunately, I forgot to pull the membranes off the back (really made me angry) and set them in the kettle just after noon, expecting dinner time to be between 6 and 6:30, thinking that 5-7 hours being average for baby backs, 6- 6.5 hours isn't an unreasonable expectation.

According to the fireboard, the temps in the grill generally stayed between 225 and 250. One time, it shot up over 250 so I went out to nudge the intake closed a bit, and subsequently, it dropped to 210ish about 20 minutes later, and I nudged it open just a tiny bit. From then on, it was up and down but steadily within the acceptable 25 degree range. The temperature of the meat rose quickly at first, a nice even slope that started to taper off around 145, then crept up slowly from there, as I expected. But then at around 154, it hit what can only be described as the stall... which I would expect from a butt or a brisket, but from ribs? Is that a thing? It's never happened any other time I've made ribs, at least not to that extent. At first, it dropped a couple degrees, then climbed back up to 158, then dipped again, then nudged up to up to 160, but then it started falling again, and I couldn't get it any higher in the kettle for close to an hour. At 4:30, the meat had dropped to 153. I had just cleared the ashes and added more fuel to the SNS, so the ambient temperature dropped and I expected the meat temp to drop a bit, but not that much. Finally by 5:45 it was at 166 and advancing, albeit too slowly for my preference, and I got tired of fiddling with everything and moved them to the oven. When I picked them up to transfer, they didn't bend in the slightest, much less crack. In retrospect, I imagine that could be because I didn't remove the membrane, and that made them hold their form. Even an hour and change in the oven only got them up to 182, but it was time to eat, so we ate. They were good, but not like they should have been. My wife was happy, but I knew they could (and would eventually) be better with more cooking, so I was somewhat disappointed.

So here are the variables that are obvious to me:
    1) This was the first time I have cooked ribs using the fireboard. Previously, I only used an instant-read thermometer and really only checked the last 90 minutes of the cook. Maybe this temperature slope/plateau is actually normal and it was just making me crazy watching the fireboard and not seeing it climb (watched pot...) Still, 8 hours seems like a long time for baby backs.
    2) Would leaving the membrane on create (or exacerbate) this kind of stall? Maybe preventing fats from dripping out of the bottom?
    3) It was cold and windy. I wouldn't expect that to cause it, though, if the ambient temp probe was reading 225-250 for 99% of the cook. Would the cold temps sapping heat from the kettle surface prolong the cook, even though the temps stayed in the appropriate range? Seems like that would just burn more fuel, as long as the ambient temp stayed the same.

I know there are varying schools of thought: the "cook your ribs to 205 degrees" school, and the "cook them until the meat looks right" (pulling away from the end of the bone, crack test, etc.) school. Maybe since this was my first rib cook with the fireboard, I was paying too much attention to the temperature, and not enough attention to the meat. It just seems like it shouldn't have taken that long.

After I cut our dinner serving off, I pulled off the membranes, then put the bigger rack and the remaining 1/3 of the smaller rack back in the oven and let them go for another 90 minutes and they were just past perfect at that point - they pretty much completely let go of the bone, so a little over, but they tasted great - maybe the best I've made. The extra dose of brown sugar helped make an awesome bark. If any of you watch Young Sheldon, you'll recognize the epiphany moment I had that Sheldon's father had when he finally nailed his mother-in-law's brisket recipe and took a slice off the point and had a near flavorgasm.

I love having the fireboard app and being able to refer to the cook chart after the fact. Looking back, the temp was climbing slowly but steadily over the last hour of the cook, and it looked like I had overcome the stall - and opening the dome to add fuel definitely set both the ambient temp and the meat temp back a few minutes. I think that if I had put enough extra fuel in to start, I may have been ok leaving them in the kettle to finish, but I knew I didn't have enough fuel in to finish the cook without adding more, which would have messed up the curve all over again, so the oven was the answer. Plus the sun was going down and I knew the temperature was about to drop significantly. They had gotten enough smoke to that point where I wasn't going to add any more wood to the fire anyway. But it would have been nice not to feel like I had to finish in the oven.

Buck,
    Great write up! Tons of info to help us diagnose your issues.
    First, the stall is pretty normal for ribs, especially for baby backs, because of the loin meat involved. (Another reason I like St.Louis cut better.) Seeing the stall actually happen, via the FireBoard graph can be a little unsettling. You begin to second guess yourself. Next time, let the Weber /SNS do its thing. A stall is normal. Especially at 225 F. 9 Hours is a long time for baby backs, but not unheard of. I have had them go 7 hours before, with some thick loin meat and a low pit temp.

Leaving the membrane on the ribs will not make this situation worse. The membrane is removed to avoid having to eat it later. It also blocks smoke and salt from penetrating the ribs.

If your cook temp is reading 225 F -250 F, that is all that matters, regardless of what the ambient temp is. It may take more fuel to maintain that temp, but if it is 225 F - 250 F in the cooking chamber, then that is what you are cooking at, regardless of ambient temps.

I cook in sub-zero temps all the time, on a whole range of cookers. If you need to add fuel to the SNS because it is combating the cold, no problem. It will recover quickly. Taking the lid off for 45 seconds during a multi-hour cook will do nothing to the end product. (You should be more concerned with the added fuel smoldering before fully igniting, and adding off flavors.) Typically when a lid or dome is opened, the fire will actually increase in intensity with the added influx of fresh oxygen, cold or not. Basically, don't worry about ambient temps unless you really want to save fuel. Otherwise, your grill will plow through any temps you cook in, it will just take more fuel to do it. Once the dome is warm and cooking, just keep it supplied with fuel. You may need to open the damper a bit more to get it more air for a larger fire, but it will power through the cold if managed correctly.

Also, The ribs didn't crack when you picked them up because they were not close enough to being done. This will only happen when the ribs are near the end of the cook. Towards the end of a cook the ribs will get really tender, which allows them to bend, loosely, when picked up. By this time, the surface of the meat will have a good layer of bark formation, they layer will crack when the tender ribs are picked up with tongs. When they are at 155 F, they still have a ways to go.

I hope I answered most of your questions. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Give it another go. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Comment

Holy Crap! First a book for a thread opener. Than, volume II for a response. I think I’ll read it before I go to bed tonight.

Comment

Thanks, Spinaker. That helps a lot. My first job at Six Flags was working at a ride called the Spinnaker. It's known as "Enterprise" most other places, though. Do you ever make it up to the Boundary Waters?

I figured that the colder temps would only affect the fuel consumption needed to maintain the cooking temp, but doubts were creeping in, for sure. It didn't make sense that the cold air would affect cooking when the grill probe was reading a steady temp - it should only slightly affect the ramp-up time and the amount of fuel used to maintain temps.

I didn't truly think the membrane was affecting the bend test - but I thought that after almost 6 hours, it would have bent at least a little bit, instead of staying stiff like a board, so I was grasping at straws.

Leaving the membrane on affected the flavor for sure - the bottom side had significantly less flavor than the top side did - and as Emeril Lagasse used to say, "I can't stand one-sided-tasting food." That's definitely a lesson I'll never forget. Also made it a little more challenging to make clean cuts on each rib when serving.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I do make it up to the BWCA. I have spent a lot of time up there growing up and as an adult. It is a magical place.
          It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what happened. Let us know how your next cook goes.

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          I love the BWCA - probably my favorite place to be outside of Colorado. I haven't been in almost 10 years. It's about time for a return trip.

Spinaker gave some good advice. I don't think you did anything wrong except may not enough fuel to start - but you didn't need me to tell you that. Sometimes a hunk of meat just takes longer. Finishing in the oven is perfectly fine and I think most of here have done it at some point.

Comment

Buck Flicks

We are our own harshest critics!

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Ayuh, You got that right.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree

1) i don't temp ribs, just the pit
          2)i have left the membrane on before, and the only difference is that part is chewy, you have to kind of spit it out as you eat
          3) trust your meat on ribs
          Maybe the cold air, which is notoriously dry exasperated the stall as it would increase evaporation. I'm not rocket scientist (a few on here are)but in colder weather i notice the stall earlier, and longer. All in all it just sonds like you didn't let them go long enough. I always cook st.lewis cut ribs unless doing them in the oven Vous style for the crunchy bite.

Comment

Glad others are trying to help. There's no way I have the attention span needed to read that post.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
              Buck Flicks commented
              Editing a comment
              You may want to put me on ignore then. I'm verbose, and not apologetic about it.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't sweat it, Buck. I couldn't tell you how many times I have read a too brief question and then immediately had multiple followup questions for the OP in order to be able to understand the problem. Personally, I would rather read a somewhat longer post and have all the relevant information.

• Buck Flicks
              Buck Flicks commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah... definitely not sweating it... I said that with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek. I'm well aware of my (over) verbosity and how it can be off-putting to some, and I embrace it and can make fun of myself for it at the same time.

Great advice from Spinaker

Comment

Internal temp monitoring isn't required for ribs. I watch for the meat to pull back from the bones as a cue to start checking for tenderness with a toothpick. May need to wrap baby backs to get there within a reasonable time.
              Last edited by Steve R.; February 12, 2018, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Personally I would have crutched the ribs by wrapping in foil an hour or two before dinner time. Unwrap and finish over direct heat over the slow n sear if you need to firm the bark back up.

Comment

I go by the bend test for ribs. It's never failed me. I think so much of this can be over thought and my personal opinion is all the electronics helps lend to this. I'm not bashing anyone who uses it this is just my personal take.
                  I have done hundreds of racks of ribs. When I first started I had the Mavericks plugged in everywhere and I fretted over when I should wrap them and when I should take them out of the wrap and so on.

Now I have no electronics and I don't wrap. I gave up both early on. By eliminating steps and eliminating relying on other devices I eliminated things that could go wrong or make me think things were going wrong. I know now by looking at ribs when to start bend testing. The first few hours I have to do nothing but maintain the fire and spritz once in awhile.
                  After about the 4th hour I keep a closer eye.
                  I don't go by pull back. I have done baby loin back ribs that give little to no pull back and others that get a half a inch pull back during the same cook.
                  Of course your mileage may vary!

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hear you on the electronics. When I first got my egg, it took me awhile to just let it do its thing, instead of watching the FireBoard graph. I for sure lost some hair during that process.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. For me, the bark is the best part - and the barkier the better, so I prefer to avoid the crutch if I can - but it's good to have as a weapon when time is of the essence. Now I know to just heap on the fuel at the start and let 'er go (KBB isn't terribly expensive,) and only use the fireboard graph for grill temps, not meat temps. I'll save the 2nd and 3rd probe for butts and briskets.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here