Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt Smoked Over the Drip 'N Griddle Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt Smoked Over the Drip 'N Griddle Pan

On Thursday I smoked a 9 lb pork butt on the Copper kettle using my SnS, Easy Spin grate and Drip 'N Griddle pan. The small grate piece is the removable portion of the Easy Spin grate from ABC Barbecue. I started 25 KBB and a wood chunk in my chimney. For the cook I used Weber charcoal. Rub was Memphis Dust. At 7 hours I did an ash sweep; otherwise I never opened the lid until the IT was ~200 when the butt was probe tender at just over 10 hours at an average temp of 260. I cooked the butt this way to see if I could get better bottom bark when slightly elevated above the SnS. I was happy with the results. The Weber charcoal still had at least a couple of hours left.

Drip 'N Griddle setup which I used when adding the rub, carrying to/from the kettle, and I pulled the pork in it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5262.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	452677

Starting the cook

Name:	IMG_5273.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	452678

End of the cook

Name:	IMG_5296.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	452679

Botom bark

Name:	IMG_5305.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	452680

Pulled after 4 hours in the faux cambro

Name:	IMG_5310.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	452681
    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; February 10, 2018, 06:50 AM.

Man that looks good. Great idea! That would work for a lot of things.

Comment

Nice job FD. I like the idea of raising the butt a bit. đź‘Ť

Comment

I have not used my SnS for a slow cook yet, but your pics of this great looking pulled pork are motivating me to find a way sooner than later! Looks great and thank you for the great write up with photos on the process!

Comment

Great idea, and well executed.

Comment

Looks delicious.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks fantastic. I think someone cut off a small slice though.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don’t know what you are talking about :-)

Nicely done. Like the idea of serving it in the drip pan to recover those delicious flavors.

Comment

I just got a Drip N Griddle pan for Christmas, I'll have to try this.

Comment

So the bottom bark looks good. Not soggy?

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                      fuzzydaddy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It was more moist than the top but still better than when not elevating. Flipping at 170-180 IT when the top is good is something I may try next time.

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks fuzzy. I will give that a shot. I have two 8lbers to do for a party on the 24th.

Good job on the pork fuzzydaddy . You are like me--always a little experiment going on with a cook! Good info for all of us. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Looks great, fuzzydaddy . Did you mix the juices and fats back into the PB or did you try to separate out the fat? Did you have a lot of drippings in that DnG?

Kathryn

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                        fuzzydaddy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks. There was about 1/3 cup of drippings in the DnG and I didn’t add them to the pulled pork as it was plenty juicy.

Thanks for the additional info, fuzzydaddy. So basically you used the DnG just to help keep the kettle clean?

One thing that keeps me from using an aluminum pan is wondering whether the smoke flavor is diminished because it can't get to the bottom side of the meat. Your grate over the DnG helps alleviate that concern (valid or not).

Also, I'm still amazed at how shiny clean your DnG looks. I keep covering it with foil whenever I use it but perhaps I should go foil-free.

One more question: was the cook time/flavor at all affected by moving the baffle (DnG) up to the top rack?

Kathryn
                      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 12, 2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• fkrall
                        fkrall commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I find covering the DnG more trouble than it's worth. I haven't smoked yet, but even for a messy indirect cook (chicken thighs), I simply soak it in soapy dishwater the next morning and it cleans up readily with little effort. No effort at all if my wife finishes the job to get it out of the sink.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Smart move on that "letting it soak" overnight trick, fkrall . I've fallen for that in the past as well.

Good to know it comes out nice and shiny clean without covering.

Interesting idea. I might have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here