Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday Oink & Cluck Feast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Oink & Cluck Feast

Typical winter week here, generally rainy and cold through half the weekend, but I knew Sunday was going to be glorious so planned a big cook. Got some pork steaks and a couple of whole chickens ready the day before by dry brining both with plenty of kosher salt and allowed them to hang out in my garage frig over night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salted Meat 01.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	446918

First about the chicken. We get a lot of posts asking how to crisp up chicken skin with the answer being heat (generally 350*) and a very dry skin. In fact the salt brining and the open refrigeration caused these chicken's skins to turn soft, pliable and translucent, ideal for the formation of crispy skin.

Name:	chicken skin 02.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	446919

Since my poor gasser needed some love, I decided to just truss these two and load them on a spit using my rotisserie. Love me some rotisserie chicken!

Name:	rotesserie 03.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	446920

So away those went. On to the real star of the show, Mr. Piggie. Although I'm a pulled pork junky, my family generally turns their collective noses up at it so I end up eating most of it. With a freezer full for sammies, I told my butcher to cut me some thick (like 1 1/2" to 2") steaks from a boneless 12# pork shoulder. For you guys in the midwest, these were not the usual 1/2" ones you're used to grilling, they were really more like small roasts. I decided to treat them a lot like pork ribs, so I started with a low and slow smoking to develop some deep taste and color;

Name:	pig smoking 04.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	446921

After about an 1 1/2 hours and an internal temp closing in on 150*, I pulled them. Went ahead an added some brown sugar and a couple pats of butter, wrapped them in foil and returned them to the smoker. I cranked the temp up to about 275*, smoking time was over and I wanted a fairly quick braise.

Name:	sweet pig 06.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	446922

I ran them up to an internal temp of 195* (maybe another 1 1/2 hours worth), probed them for tender and removed them from the foil. My gasser was good and hot so I fired up the sear zone to about 800* and reverse seared both steaks after the braise.

Results were pretty spectacular. The fat was totally rendered out, the connective tissue melted and the remaining juices had a good sweet and savory profile from the sugar and rendered fat. I carved both pig and chick, poured the juices back over the pork and we feasted. Got me a nice pork sammie for work as well. Eaten good in the neighborhood !!!

Name:	chicken final 09.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	446923

Name:	final pig 07.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	446924

Name:	final pig 08.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	446925

Pork steaks are defiantly in my current wheel house of ways to prepare pork. If you haven't tried it this way, I urge you to do so; delicious, tender, sweet and savory !!!

TROUTMAN STEVE SIGNING OUT !!!!!

Beautiful!

Comment

I wanted to give your post 6 likes, Steve Troutman . What a spectacular feast.

I've got a rotisserie on my Summit gasser but have never used it! You might inspire me to figure out how to make that happen.

Question: how do you keep your gasser grates so shiny clean? Mine are orangish brown--clean but discolored. I'm in good company, though, since Weber says that's how they should look (especially after 9 years of use like mine have). I must admit to Grate Envy, though.

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I use Simple Green de-greaser and a steel wool hand scrubber. Those grates are about 5 years old and look like new. I have a clean fetish I guess, nothing touches a dirty grate !!!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, and I thought I had a clean fetish. I'm eating your dust, Troutman, with those grates. I want mine to be shiny again!

K.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine don't look like that, but I use bacon grease, after a good scub. They are cast, and look liks tlike my skillets...NONSTICK, lol.

Looks delicious!

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

Excellent! look at those chicken skins! Wow

Comment

Wow! It all looks great, but man i wish i could make chicken like that!!

Comment

Very tasty lookin'.

Comment

That looks great. I've never even heard of Pork steaks until just now. Will have to give it a try for sure!

Comment

Bravo and a job well done!! Not only do I wish I could cook like that but I wish I could take pictures like that!

Comment

Super nice! Thanks>

Comment

Hmmm, I'm going to have to give those pork steaks a try. Looks delicious.

Comment

• Chuck in Charlotte
                        Chuck in Charlotte commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I grew up in St. Louis where pork steaks are a summer tradition. They generally braise them in the local favorite Maul's sauce. It a tomato-based sauce that's not real sweet. They are delicious.

That chicken skin looks almost out of this world. Tell me again how you did that? I can never get mine that translucent without removing it and scraping the subcutaneous fat off of it. I LOVE pork steaks, but I treat mine like a strip with Montreal steak and cook them hot and fast.

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Not hard at all. Heavy coat of salt and 24 hours in the frig, then cook hot.

Looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here