Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Pork Butt

Did these at 325-350, it took about 45 minutes per lb. Pulled between 195-205. Used Grand Champion rub. Great bark. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 5-29-17 at 6.33 PM.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	439621Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 5-29-17 at 6.33 PM (1).jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	439622

Bet that Maverick was a hoppin'!

Comment

That is the definition of turbo for sure but what did it taste like and was it tender and juicy?

Comment

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        Very tender and juicy. I've done low & slow @ 225-250 and can't tell the difference in taste going turbo. I get requests from family and friends to do these all the time, it's always a big hit. It saves me over half the time it takes to go low & slow. Try it and see if you like it. Hotty Toddy, my son graduated from Ole Miss.

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        That's great, my son in law is a chemistry professor at Ole Miss and my grandson graduated from there in 2015 from the engineering school and is now a biomedical engineer at Smith & Nephew. Hotty Toddy!

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        My son graduated in 2004 with Eli and my great uncle was an economics professor there in the mid to late 60's, his name was Louis Brandt. Small world.

Very nice. Yeah, how was it. I have cooked a few that hot before. They were a little dry. Curious to hear what you think. It does have some great looking bark.

Comment

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        Very tender and juicy. I've done low & slow @ 225-250 and can't tell the difference in taste going turbo. I get requests from family and friends to do these all the time, it's always a big hit. It saves me over half the time it takes to go low & slow. I inject with apple juice, water, salt and sugar. Never had a dry one when I pulled around 195.

Lookin' good.

Comment

Did it have a good smoke flavor? What kind of grill did you use?

Comment

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I am definitely going to have to try this, I would be cooking it on a KJ Big Joe so about the same, add some peach or apple for the smoke and maybe have to pick up some pecan wood to try also. Do you put a water pan under the meat or just a drip pan without water?

• wrgilb
          wrgilb commented
          Editing a comment
          I put a water pan, because the drippings will end up burning at the higher temps. You may have to add water from time to time. My times and temps vary a little from time to time because no two pieces of butts are exactly the same. LMK how it turns out for you.

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          The water in the pan should definitely help keep the meat moist and also aid in the smoke sticking to the meat.

wow, man that is picture perfect looking bark, I know you used apple juice water, salt and sugar but was it equal parts of all or different measurements?

Comment

• wrgilb
          wrgilb commented
          Editing a comment
          The injection was
          3/8 cup apple juice
          1/4 cup water
          1/4 cup white sugar
          1/8 cup kosher salt
          1-Tbl. Worcestershire sauce
          This was for an 8 lb. butt

Beautiful!

Comment

Those look awesome. I am a big fan of hot and fast. I cooked a brisket that way before Christmas and it was incredible. No leftovers. I’m all for saving a few hours without compromising flavor and juiciness. Did you wrap?

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialDawg View Post
            Those look awesome. I am a big fan of hot and fast. I cooked a brisket that way before Christmas and it was incredible. No leftovers. I’m all for saving a few hours without compromising flavor and juiciness. Did you wrap?
            No wrapping

Comment

One thing I did with a pork butt in my Masterbuilt electric smoker when the electric at our house was off for three hours and friends coming over for a pool party. We left to pick up some things and when we return I notice the microwave is not on and panic, go out and check the smoker and it has no power either (what a surprise). Near as I could tell the butt had about two hours in the smoke but not much more. No way would it be ready if I put it back in the smoker so after the power was restored I put the butt in my pressure cooker with some of my basting liquid (apple juice, onions and jalapenos) and cooked it for 45 minutes under high pressure, turned out amazing. All of our friends loved the smoked pulled pork and mentioned how it was so juicy. Turned out well that day.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here