Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Weave Pork Loin question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Weave Pork Loin question

I’m planning on smoking a pork loin wrapped in bacon this evening. I know to get it to 145*. I’m going to inject it as well as wrap it in a bacon weave. My question is how to crisp up the bacon. In a previous cook with the long term smoke at 250* the bacon wasn’t that crisp. I’m cooking this for my school board so I don’t want it looking like it’s not "done" all the way. I’m using the BGE so was thinking about just opening up the vents all the way to kind of "sear" it but I don’t want to overlook and lose moisture.

Well, having done a bacon wrapped sous-vide pork loin on Jan 1, where I cooked it for about 5 hours at 145 in the water bath, and put in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes at the end to brown and crisp the bacon, I can say positively that while the 350 for 30 minutes did help, the bacon was not crispy like if you fried it in a pan.

I am wondering if you could use a hot grate/griddle/skillet to fry/crisp the bacon and brown the entire thing, by sorta rolling it around on that hot surface, at the end of your smoke. Otherwise, I would say pull it from the smoker once it hits 145 internal temp, let it cool down for a bit while you really crank up the heat, and then put it back on at 450 to 500 for just a short time.

Comment

This was a recent cook of a stuffed sausage roll and it crisped it up but I let it go to 165 so the extra 20* probably would make the difference but I can’t let the loin go that long. Click image for larger version

Name:	7BD69561-B377-459A-9969-45783BEB5FD0.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	437789

Comment

You could try making the weave and putting that in BGE and smoke it until it just starts to brown on the edges. Immediately wrap the loin in the bacon and cook to your desired IT.

Comment

Maybe this is a case where rather than a reverse sear, searing up front while the pork loin is cold, would be useful. Put it on a really hot grill, or in a really hot oven using a rack, just long enough to start crisping the bacon, but not long enough to penetrate and start cooking the meat. THEN move it to the BGE for low and slow until you hit 145F internal temp.

Comment

wouldn't a 500 degree oven for like 10-15 minutes do the job? cook it until about 135 and then crank the temp up to 500 until crispy? i've never done it but if i were to attempt it that's likely what i would do

Comment

Cook till done and then take it out to rest while you crank up the heat on your smoker or grill (or oven) as high as you can. Let it rest for 20-30 min before putting it back on the heat for 10-15 min. The rest period should prevent it from overcoming during the final crisping stage.

Comment

How about starting out by cooking the bacon partially before weaving? Almost cooked but still limp enough to weave should work? Works for other bacon wrapped treats like ABTs.

Comment

I think I would cook until 15* below target, then blast with the high heat until center is cooked.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here