Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"5-at-5"-butt-smokin’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes yes and yes to all,of what Ron said. They look great. 285° powers through and there's not much of a stall.

Recap
    1. Great first cook!
    2. Great bark as you like
    3. Freezing and a short cook time
    4. Learning your cooker
    5. Hot knife thru butter. Welcome to the rest of your life. You'll be chasing that. I know I do.
    6. Making us all hungry!!

nice work buddy!!! Pellet smellet for now.

Comment

Amazing cook! WTG

Comment

Well, a huge thanks to all of you, whether it was on this thread or one from a year ago that I dug up. This is really fantastic, I’d take it over pulled pork I’ve had at any BBQ joint in the Triangle area - and I’ve done my best to visit them all! The pork was actually very moist, and it just fell apart, the bone twisted out clean. I picked a little piece of the money muscle off for me and the wife and it was like butter! Experience is key, I definitely have a few ideas for things to try differently in the future. If I’m being really picky, I like a spicier rub than MMD. I’m also curious about the smokiness - it’s delicious and all thru the meat, but juuust hinting at almost maybe close to a sooty taste in some bites. I had white billowing smoke early but it settled down into what I understand was the "blue smoke". Not sure if I used too much wood, or if it’s really in the bark and would mellow out if smoked longer at a lower temp. Regardless, the wife and kid are insanely happy and that makes me happy. And full! 👍🏻
        Attached Files

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          that looks great! mine goes on at midnight tonight!

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          smokenoob thanks man, you’re smarter than me I was up way too early. Good luck!

That looks awesome man! I’m attempting my first butt as I type this and this thread has been a huge help!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome, good luck!

• BourBonQ
          BourBonQ commented
          Editing a comment
          You got this! Let us know how it goes.

Good work! But I see a Guru device in your future. Set it up the night before and skip the getting up early.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Amen to that Steve R. I think this was the Sunday before the ‘Bama v. Georgia Monday night game - which I slept thru. 😞 I’ve dropped 2 or 3 not-so-subtle hints about a set it and forget smoker next year, and haven’t felt much resistance yet. 👍🏻

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          This will do the trick with your existing setup: https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav/Gur...iceModelId=176

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          How did I miss this... looks like a game changer, need to read up, thanks Steve R.!

Beautiful!

Comment

How fun was that FishTalesNC ! Great cook and thread!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            I have to admit Mudkat even getting up that early - it was fun! Probably because folks here helped me get it right! Learned a lot in just a single smoke, always good.

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            THAT has been my experience too. You're gonna like the way you cook!

Nice job FishTalesNC . This place is amazing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here