Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porcelet recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PointMan
    replied
    In North Carolina when we roast a whole pig we call it a "Pig Pickin'".

Leave a comment:

• HorseDoctor
    commented on 's reply
    CandySueQ Thank you ma'am! I feel validated... but, but, even roasted, the little ones are so cute!

• CandySueQ
    commented on 's reply
    Hear, hear! Agree 100% with HorseDoctor! Best Hog I ever ate was huge, cooked Cuban cooker style. Seasoned with garlic poked under the skin. Not smoked, roasted and very amazing!

• HorseDoctor
    replied
    Originally posted by FireMan
    BTW, has anybody cooked one other than the esteemed [USER="920"
    CandySueQ[/USER]?
    I have roasted suckling piglet (10-15 lb) a couple of times. I found them to look impressive, but was totally underwhelmed with the taste. Tastes very much like whatever you season/spice it with. All the piglet added was texture. Even market hogs are lacking in the maturity and fat to be very flavorful these days. A milk fed suckling piglet has even less flavor! Great looking centerpiece, but as a main course... not so much. Best tasting whole hog I ever did was a 350 lb live weight sow. Maturity and fat = flavor!!!

Leave a comment:

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    FireMan never a full pig. As far as i know dartagnan dont sell them. I think the poster was referring to either the rib rack or full loin. Ive cooked both and well worth it. I would probably remove the skin on the loin if i did it again

• FireMan
    replied
    Does discussing a porcelet mean that that is one way of introducing oneself. I count two on this thread, amazingly. Does one welcome those who introduce themselves while discussing porcelets or do we wait for............. never mind.

BTW, has anybody cooked one other than the esteemed CandySueQ?

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Welcome to The Pit! Thank you for the support.

• grantgallagher
    replied
    Ive done the rib rack before. Just in the oven baked and it was phenomenal pork chops. Ive also bought the full loin before and butchered it down to make porchetta, also damn delicious. Never done them in the smoker though, id be afraid of losing some of the subtle sweetness.

Leave a comment:

• Bobmcgahan
    replied
    Originally posted by Henry View Post
    I was going to order it online from D’Artagnan. It’s basically the pork version of veal.
    Henry, did you ever order it? I’ve ordered the porcelet shoulder and rib rack. I’d like to smoke this in my Primo but would appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Welcome Henry

Leave a comment:

• JCBBQ
    replied
    Hi Henry I missed this thread when you first posted. How'd it turn out? I've cooked suckling pig twice. I learned a lot from my mistakes the first time around. Here's a thread detailing that:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ng-pig-odyssey

Sourcing is critical. I ordered online the first time and it was very expensive. I've since sourced them locally and it costs literally half what I spent the first time. Your cooker size is critical. If you can find a local source then you don't have to guess if the weight will fit, you can just go measure them and pick the one that'll fit.

Biggest take away for me the first time around was that they just don't take that long to cook. Especially if you get a real suckling pig that'll be probably not more than 15lbs. There are lots of "recipes" but the main thing is to figure out how to cook it. My second attempt was much much better. I cooked it way less to about 130 low and slow. And then much hotter 600 degrees to crisp up the skin.

Your technique and results will probably be very different using a pellet smoker. How hot can those get? For me it was important to finish the pig with skin like cracklins - that's why I cook it so high at the end.

I'd love to hear about how it went.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Very nice CSQ. Just curious, at 240* do you get crispy skin? Or do you crank up the heat at the end?

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Love it!! Nah.... that picture was yesterday. 😀

• CandySueQ
    commented on 's reply
    Old photo! That's a concoction of apple juice, cider vinegar and Worchestershire, if memory serves. First pig on my own and my first "real" cooker, a Tucker Cooker from Memphis with a pellet fire on the back. The pellet fire system ended up on the Jambo in 2009.

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you HouseHomey and ComfortablyNumb

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here