Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porcelet recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porcelet recipe

Has anyone ever cooked porcelet? I’m thinking of giving it a try and I’d like to hear from those who’ve done it. A recipe would be great. Preferably a recipe that includes using my yoder pellet smoker. Thanks!

No I have not. Where will you find it?

welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Ok, I'll say it. What is a porcelet?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Piglet, or suckling pig.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        It's raised on milk by farmers in Europe supposedly making the meat like filet minion soft. Cochon lait. Score one for culinary school with a French curriculum.
        Last edited by HouseHomey; January 3, 2018, 09:05 AM.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you HouseHomey and ComfortablyNumb

Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I was going to order it online from D’Artagnan. It’s basically the pork version of veal.

Comment

Hi Henry and welcome to the pit! I haven't cooked a porcelet, but I know there are members who will help you out shortly.

Either way, since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Yoder 640? You should measure your cooking door and tell the folks at D'Artagnan the size (mainly length) you want it NO LONGER THAN!!! I've cooked a number of small whole pigs in a pellet cooker. It's a matter of heat and mass just like any cook. I usually cook at 240 until it hits around 180 in the big parts. Cook on support, so it's easier to move (if necessary) and take out of the cooker.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	cswhog.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	433861Click image for larger version

Name:	PIG3.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	433862Click image for larger version

Name:	PIGDONE.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	433863

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Love it!! Nah.... that picture was yesterday. 😀

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice CSQ. Just curious, at 240* do you get crispy skin? Or do you crank up the heat at the end?

Wow, awesome pic!!! I especially love the way you drink your whisky. I need food now. Geeze!

CandySueQ

Comment

• CandySueQ
                    CandySueQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Old photo! That's a concoction of apple juice, cider vinegar and Worchestershire, if memory serves. First pig on my own and my first "real" cooker, a Tucker Cooker from Memphis with a pellet fire on the back. The pellet fire system ended up on the Jambo in 2009.

Hi Henry I missed this thread when you first posted. How'd it turn out? I've cooked suckling pig twice. I learned a lot from my mistakes the first time around. Here's a thread detailing that:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ng-pig-odyssey

Sourcing is critical. I ordered online the first time and it was very expensive. I've since sourced them locally and it costs literally half what I spent the first time. Your cooker size is critical. If you can find a local source then you don't have to guess if the weight will fit, you can just go measure them and pick the one that'll fit.

Biggest take away for me the first time around was that they just don't take that long to cook. Especially if you get a real suckling pig that'll be probably not more than 15lbs. There are lots of "recipes" but the main thing is to figure out how to cook it. My second attempt was much much better. I cooked it way less to about 130 low and slow. And then much hotter 600 degrees to crisp up the skin.

Your technique and results will probably be very different using a pellet smoker. How hot can those get? For me it was important to finish the pig with skin like cracklins - that's why I cook it so high at the end.

I'd love to hear about how it went.

Comment

Welcome Henry

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                      I was going to order it online from D’Artagnan. It’s basically the pork version of veal.
                      Henry, did you ever order it? I’ve ordered the porcelet shoulder and rib rack. I’d like to smoke this in my Primo but would appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks.

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Welcome to The Pit! Thank you for the support.

Ive done the rib rack before. Just in the oven baked and it was phenomenal pork chops. Ive also bought the full loin before and butchered it down to make porchetta, also damn delicious. Never done them in the smoker though, id be afraid of losing some of the subtle sweetness.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here