Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piglet/Pork rotisserie_length/weight ratio question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piglet/Pork rotisserie_length/weight ratio question.

Hi, does anyone know where to find a chart to calculate the maximum pig weight by length occupied on rotisserie?
    Planning to buy a smoker and would like to know what weight piglet would fit on a 25" rotisserie.

Gratings from Spain.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. You can estimate pig weight by measuring across the back and the girth, then using a formula. Of course, this is live weight. Here's a web page with the details.

Comment

Thx. I did find this chart. But what I am really looking for is the length of rotisserie needed for different piglet weights. Eg 20" for a 20lb piglet.
      I am looking at different smokers now and have found one with a door of app 32". So 32" of rotisserie to use.
      nd by calculating 1,2-1,5lb/person I can see the maximum weight
      I could grill with this model.
      Maybe I'll have to decide for another model. But not many options are available for delivery to Spain.

Comment

I would also appreciate reactions on trussing the piglet in minimum space. Eg rear legs under belly etc.
        And the advantages or disadvantages of the different methods.

Comment

You aren't going to get much of a pig in 20". I raise pigs and you'll get a suckling or weaner. I have a neighbour who has a homemade smoker from an old propane tank, I'll get some pics of it for you. Meanwhile, consider these articles:

Learn how to cook a whole hog the way the pros do it. Our whole hog or suckling pig smoking guide discusses everything from shopping to prepping and serving in our extensive whole hog recipe.

How to build a barbecue pit for cooking a whole hog from concrete block (cinder block), including illustrated plans with dimensions and various designs

We'll tell you how to smoke a whole pig in your wood-fired oven; Traegered hog brings out the primal flavor and adds delicious layers of smoke. BBQ pig makes great BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.

The last one claims to hold a 65# pig. I believe it is 27" x 34".

Comment

• PuraLena
            PuraLena commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep correct I am talking of a spit well over 40 inches.

Go live fire. It's ready when it's done. Pabil perhaps?

Comment

Have been reading the given links. But still haven't found hoof to hoof length or tail to nose length of different weight piglets/pigs.
            I would like to decide on getting the right smoker, rotisserie, price, capacity.
            Hope someone here has measured some lengths and weights.

Comment

I believe this is what you are looking for:

Scroll down to the section 'How Big is a Roaster?'

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                That should take care of it. ComfortablyNumb do you raise pigs for own consumption?

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                holehogg Indeed I do. I keep enough breeding stock to offset feed expenses and rotate the herds with vegetable crops so they can clean, till, and fertilise the fields.

Originally posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
              I believe this is what you are looking for:

Scroll down to the section 'How Big is a Roaster?'
              Yes. This is what I was looking for. Now I can do some rough calculations for myself and see what size of smoker(and door opening I want to buy.

Comment

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                Please post what/while you learn about this. I know I'm interested.

Originally posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
              You aren't going to get much of a pig in 20". I raise pigs and you'll get a suckling or weaner. I have a neighbour who has a homemade smoker from an old propane tank, I'll get some pics of it for you. Meanwhile, consider these articles:

Learn how to cook a whole hog the way the pros do it. Our whole hog or suckling pig smoking guide discusses everything from shopping to prepping and serving in our extensive whole hog recipe.

How to build a barbecue pit for cooking a whole hog from concrete block (cinder block), including illustrated plans with dimensions and various designs

We'll tell you how to smoke a whole pig in your wood-fired oven; Traegered hog brings out the primal flavor and adds delicious layers of smoke. BBQ pig makes great BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.

The last one claims to hold a 65# pig. I believe it is 27" x 34".
              My latest smoker will handle some 44-Inches.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                I can build you one that will handle a 6 meter long pig. That's a lot of bacon slicing. Maybe in the future with genetic mods they can make a pig with 124 ribs..

• PuraLena
                PuraLena commented
                Editing a comment
                Just search my posy Back Again and you will see my new rig. Took a while. But I finally get what I wanted.

Don't forget the power of the motor for the spit. It has to be able to turn the weight also.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 27, 2020, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
                Don't forget the power of the motor for the spit. It has to be able to turn the weight also.
                I have an 80kg motor, so 50kg balanced weight should work fine.

Slowly getting the parts in to get started. And yes, it will be well over 40 inches long.

And I plan to start a new thread on my experiences and results.

Comment

This is my planned set-up.

Just got the parts in these days.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Look forward to your first pig roast!

Comment

This is how I ended up with.

Still working on the drip-tray under the product.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_212614.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	882147

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here