Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas ham again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas ham again

Cooking a ham for Xmas is a deep rooted tradition in Sweden. But I smoke mine
    Way better.

I did this one on my Big Green Egg. I smoked it at 225° F with oak for 2.5 hours. That translates to 1 hour per kilo meat. I did a custom rub that I really liked, here's the recipe:

Rub
    1 tbsp ground (dried) coriander
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
    1 tsp cinnamon

Trim the skin off the ham, and trim any fat away (personal preference, do whatever you like).
    Mix the rub, and apply it evenly. Leave it in the fridge overnight.

I fired up my egg, ran it at 225° F. After one hour I sprayed it every 30 minutes with glögg (mulled wine). I wanted a touch of sweetness on the surface. Very smart move, if I may say so

I took it when inner temp was 151° F (66° F) and brought it in to rest. By rest I mean I just left it on the dining room table uncovered for an hour. I wanted it to come down in temp.

Once it cooled off I set my oven to 440° F (225° C) for applying the crust.

Crust mix
    1 egg
    3 tbsp dijon mustard
    3 tbsp bread crumbs

Mix the ingredients to a paste, and brush it on the ham, a thick layer.
    Place the ham in the oven and leave it for 15 minutes. Now it's done, take it out, slice and enjoy.

I don't have a lot of pics, as I was shooting a video for this one, so I forgot to take regular photos. Here's the finished product anyway, turned out real juicy and with great flavor. I will do this exact recipe at least once more before Xmas, because this ham won't last long

I gotta say the BGE is perfect for this type of cook.

I haven't smoked meat for a while, due to certain unfortunate events in my close family, but this was a real nice cook, super smooth, and it reminded me why I love bbq. Can't ask for more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ham.jpg Views:	1 Size:	340.4 KB ID:	423485
    Last edited by Henrik; December 14, 2017, 11:37 PM. Reason: Got the rub recipe wrong, corrected it.

Wow! That looks amazing! That crust! Ham perfection!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, you like a dude from Practical Jokers, had to get that out.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks kamadoRob!

That looks great.

Comment

Looks great! Henrik we usually do a ham for Christmas too but decided to do a rib roast this year.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man, I love a good rib roast! I'll see if I can't squeeze one in between Xmas and New Year's. Make sure to post photos of your roast!

Wow!

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Amazing!!! Love the Recipe!

Comment

Yer ham sounds/looks fantastic, Brother!
            Many thanks fer sharin' yer receipt, an' technique.
            Hope all is well in yer family, way more important than BBQ

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Many thanks Mr. Bones, wise words indeed.

I really love ham. Have to try your methid.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              I can highly recommend it. I've done plenty of hams, but this rub did the trick for sure.

I just wanted to say that for those of you who don't have glögg at home, any kind of sugary liquid will do. Think concentrated apple juice or similar. The glögg doesn't add as much flavor as it adds sugar.

Comment

That my friend looks fantastic! Our hams look a little different.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! If/when you cook one, be sure to post photos so I can see the difference. Always keen on learning.

Yum! Yum! Nothing better at Xmas than Ham!

Comment

Gorgeous! Looks like it will be the perfect Dinner!

Comment

I assume you started with a raw, unsmoked ham? Also, I agree with HouseHomey that the cut of pork looks different than what we think of as ham here, for instance, it looks boneless. It'll be interesting to see if, and how, it is different.

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, it is boneless. We always buy ham de-boned here. Tradition I guess. And yes, I started with a raw unsmoked ham.

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    By unsmoked, do you mean cured or uncured?

• Willy
                    Willy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @CaptainMike--Not sure if you addressed this to me or Henrik, but my idea was just a plain old, uncured, unsmoked piece of raw pork. IMO, I think "cured" would not imply raw.

Looks delicious!

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd eat that!

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here