Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too thick for bend test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, newbie here... been on the forums a few days. My entire smoking experience consists of BBs 5 times, a Boston butt, a brisket, a turkey, and a rib roast all on my 22” kettle using the snake method. I just got home with a 3 pack of Smithfield BBs from SAMS club weighing in at just over 10lbs. Apparently that is larger than desired. I plan to smoke them tomorrow on the maiden voyage of my Weber 26” with SNS for a party tomorrow night, need them there at 8pm. I’ve been reading here voraciously but it’s a bit overwhelming still. This thread seems to talk to a handful of things I need to do. I plan on prepping and dry rubbing them tomorrow morning around 9am and let them sit uncovered in fridge a few hours. No Memphis dust just some rub I threw together a couple of months ago from an online recipe that I want to use up, it does contain salt. I thought I’d throw them on around noon, maybe done around 6pm and hold them in the oven at 170F until my wife gets home from work at 8pm. Sounds like maybe I could push the start to 1pm? If done early does that hold sound correct? In the past I went about 5.5- 6 hours for a single rack trying to stay at 225-250F. I had read about the bend test but never had luck with the BBs, my last attempt I went off how far the meat pulled back off the ends of the bones - 1/4” or more I had read was the goal. I did that, and they were the best I’d made (boy is that relative!), but these are much meatier than what I was getting from the butcher at the Fresh Market... maybe I should try getting a thermometer in a thick spot away from bone? I usually hit it with sauce with 30-45 min to go, and again after taking them off. Any help or info is greatly appreciated, or if you can point me to another thread I’ve missed... I’m your sponge, thanks.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Never used a thermometer on ribs. Bend test is useless on babybacks. Go from your experience... rotate them throughout the cook so they all cook evenly. In my experience 5h on babybacks is just right, on the edge of too much. I never hold, just wrap for 10 minutes and cut. They're pretty forgiving... enjoy it!

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx for the tips. I do feel confident going by the look rather than thermometer. Re: rotating, I always wondered about this. Opening the lid for more than a quick peak led to a spike and another 20 min of tweaking the vents to settle it back down. Maybe it’ll behave differently with the SNS vs snake tho. I think with 3 full ones I’ll need to use my rack so swapping slots thru the cook makes sense.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here