Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas ham with mustard crust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas ham with mustard crust

So, I have cooked two hams on my kamado, one 5 lb ham and one 9 lb ham. This is how we cook ham for Christmas in Sweden. Ham for X-mas in Sweden is just as sacred as Turkey seems to be for Thanksgiving in the US. This is the first time I've smoked it, but definitely not the last. I used apple wood for flavor.

The ham on the grate (a bit dark, sorry about that)

Click image for larger version

Name:	xmasham_1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	42188

Prepping it was easy, as was cooking it. I skipped the dry brining, as it has already been wet brined. I applied a thin layer of dijon mustard and then a standard rub, and put it on the grill, puffing along at 220° F. After about 4 hours I had the internal temp at 158° F, so I took it off and let it rest for a good hour, in a faux cambro.

The ham, rested and wrapped

Name:	xmasham_2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	42189

After that comes the icing (literally). We always cover it in a mustard crust. You mix 1 egg with 3 tbsp bread crumble and 3 tbsp mustard, and cover the ham completely with a thick layer, then grill it in the oven at 450° F for 15 minutes, so the crust dries/sticks to the ham.

The ham covered with the mustard crust mix

Name:	xmasham_3.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	42190

The ham, after drying/grilling the crust

Name:	xmasham_4.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	42192

The final product. Turned out darn good!

Name:	xmasham_5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	42191

Do you guys in the US apply some kind of crust like this, or do you leave it "bare"?

This is the first time I have ever seen a mustard crust done on a ham like that and it looks great.

Looks like a fabulous alternative to the tired old Honey Baked / Heavenly Ham cop-out.

Plus I bet a slice of the leftover ham on toasted sourdough with Swiss cheese and some Creole mustard would be outta sight!!

Name:	12-21-2014 8-47-15 AM.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	42201

Comment

Henrik that's a really well done post. I'm liking all the pics (and so glad they're working).

I've not had the mustard crust before and honestly I'm not sure what I think about mustard on a Ham. I like it on ham sandwiches, though, so I'm betting it'd be pretty good.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Pit Boss! Ham and mustard goes together like a horse and carriage, so if you like it on your ham sandwiches this one will go down easy.

My favorite lunch/early afternoon snack (when not working...) is to carve me a thick slice of that ham, lay it on a sourdough bread with plenty o' butter and a nice cold beer. Real good, real simple.

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm - butter....

I have used butter on a smoked turkey sammich, but never thought about on ham -- might have to pick up some sliced Boar's Head honey maple ham from Publix and try it out!!

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik, that "snack" sounds great!

That is pretty neat. Never did a crust like that. Did slather some mustard on some extra prime rib in college we got to take home.

Comment

I like the crust, and that meat color looks amazing.

Comment

Looks really good! I'm cooking a ham on my Kamado Big Joe today and I'd love to try the mustard crust, but my father in law is here and he has an old school palate so I'll stick to the traditional smoked ham today. Using apple wood as well.. Thanks for the great post!

Comment

I really want to try this tomorrow.

Might have to get two, have someone with severe allergies. Hook 'em and cook 'em.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 24, 2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I wonder how long I can mix the crust ingredients ahead of time?

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              How long do you need to mix it in advance? As long as you keep it in the fridge you should be fine. I guess the only thing is you don't want to make it a day an advance because the breadcrumbs will completely dissolve. I just mix it in a bowl with a fork a minute before applying. You could always bring the ingredients (a whole egg, mustard and breadcrumbs) separately with you and whisk it together in seconds when needed. By the way, the amount specified is for the 5 lb ham, not the big one.

Go it thanks.

Comment

Great meal, thanks Henrik. Sorry for the side pic, still learning this Galaxy Tab 4. Click image for larger version

Name:	20141225_135123.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	44145

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm glad you tried it, looking good!

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Wife was leery of the appearance. I made sure to tell her that ultimately you eat with your mouth. Mother-in-law was adamant it was the best ham she ever had. Wife and I agreed it was going to be tough to beat this.

Bout to go again. 9+ pound ham. Going with 3 eggs, 6+ tablespoons mustard, 9 tablespoons bread crumbs.

Ham is at 115 internal. Twas at 100, 30 minutes ago.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Sweet!

Are you guys just using regular old city hams?

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                Good idea on skinning the ham a bit. I would not have thought of that.

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                What IT did you take this up to?

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                I think 145 or 150. Whatever the final temp is in Meathead's Ultimate Ham recipe. Or close to it, since it finishes in a 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.

I've been having lucid dreams about this ham ever since Henrik posted it initially!

I keep picturing myself eating a giant grilled sourdough ham and Swiss sammich w/ Creole mustard.

I gotta do this one at some point!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                That is what you get for posting a picture of that Mustard!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here