Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Brisket Bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Brisket Bones

Anybody know what to do with these guys? The web seems to be full of contradicting information. Some people call them rib tips, the package looks awfully big for that. Going to give it the college try and report back regardless, just wanted to save some effort if anyone else has had experience . . . Thanks

Nope. Ain't got me no experience with no Pork Brisket Bones, but wanted to say Howdy, an' Happy Thanksgiving to y'all there!

Comment

Suspect it may be the rib tips (cartilages) perhaps with a piece of the breastbone (sternum) attached??? Meat should cook like rib meat. Just will have a fair amount of bone and cartilage. Should be tasty if not pretty... Good luck!

Comment

Yes - Thanks for the replies, and a Happy Thanksgiving to both of you folks. I opened the package to see that it was indeed composed about 5 strips of the end strips that are removed from the ribs to make St.Louis style ribs. I rubbed them down with my favorite rib rub(Ollie Gates, my hero) and placed them in a plastic bag to cure. Plan is to throw them on the smoker first for an hour this Saturday, then finish them off in foil with additional brown sugar and sauce, while 8 slabs of St.Louis style ribs smoke for my first grandsons first year birthday party. Will try to figure how how to slice the damn things and put out for a finger food. With enough beer, it all tastes good . . .

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I consider those things a "chef's treat"!

Welcome pmfurdyn

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation. BTW, I didn't know one could have enough beer.......

Comment

These my friend are generally saved in my house as a cooks treat. They take just as long as ribs. Cook them like ribs. Season and coat the same. Then you are in cartilage sucking, finger licking, face sticking Shangrala.

superb with something spicy and something cold!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Welcome from Wiinipeg. Sounds like a fun cook.

Comment

pmfurdyn here is my experience with pork Brisket https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...2-pork-brisket It isn’t very encouraging.

Comment

Thanks again for all the replies. Big day is tomorrow. Will report back

Comment

pmfurdyn Here is the full chronicle of my pork brisket cook. The previous post was the wrong one. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...1859-here-goes

Comment

OK folks(and thanks to LA Pork Butt for the update), the jury is in, the results were phenomonal. They actually stole the show! As I said, dry rubbed with Ollie Gates seasoning(home made, recipe on the web, very simple, 6 ingredients), and cured for three days. Smoked at 225 - 250 on a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker over Apple and Hickory for 4 hours(with the 8 slabs of ribs. Occasionally sprayed with a mix of water/cider vinegar/apple juice. When we took them off the smoker, we pondered how to cut them up to serve for about 2 minutes. My son solved the problem with the 100 year old meat cleaver that I inherited from my father from when he worked at a meat processing plant in Troy NY. Making a long story short, he simply banged them out into about two inch chunks and we put them out for people to try. Absolute mayhem ensued. They were wonderful, tender and juicy with great texture and smoke flavor. THey were gone in minutes with people clamoring for more. They had to settle for the St. Louis style ribs(which were also great). Will definitely do these again. I would recommend it to anyone interested. A great find . . . .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here