Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sauced ribs vs nekkid ribs on the PBC--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Matt, don't get me talking about a herd of physicists...

Thanks for the tip about the mustard, HC. One thing I've learned with respect to BBQ is to keep an open mind because more than likely a lot of good taste and technique can result!

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; December 21, 2014, 07:45 AM.

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    Well, I'd agree about your assessment of engineers, as long as it didn't include design engineers. They are responsible for causing issues, the rest of us have to fix them.

But I see nothing wrong with running the PBC back thru the AR BBQ Material Review Board. Lol

• mtford72
    commented on 's reply
    HC, I'm not sure 'gaggle' is the correct noun of assemblage for engineers.
    I like to use a 'boredom' of accountants, so perhaps a 'correction' of engineers?
    Bizarre factoid: a group of cobblers is a drunkship.

• mtford72
    commented on 's reply
    Cheers!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I've never used the PBC rub, but stick to what you like for turkey. I have never used my rub on turkey, I choose not to. It may be a mind thing but I cannot picture a classic turkey dinner with HRR, even though it's excellent on chicken, go figure. I just think it makes chicken more of a BBQed dry rub chicken and to me that's not what a turkey dinner should be. Yes, probably a mind thing.

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    Allspice is an interesting direction, but the sweetness is there to support it. I might try adding some.

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    I have some allspice in mine.

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    Kathryn: try the HRR without the chipolte first - it may have enough heat for your peeps with the cayenne. You can always add some later if you choose, but you can't take it out.

Regarding the mustard slather on ribs, I think it might be moot compared to oil. I use just enough to wet te ribs well without being runny. When I hang them in the PBC there is no mustard dripping off, it has all mixed with the HRR and clung to the meat. If doing the ribs horizontally I'll pile a little extra rub on top of the ribs when putting them in the ECB. Give it a shot - per MH the differnce is negligible to using oil, and depending on the price of oil you use the mustard is probably cheaper.
    Last edited by HC in SC; December 19, 2014, 02:21 PM.

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    I think it is (in this order as this is how the favors hit me) sweet, then a bit of salt, then the richness of the chile powder and cumin and finally the heat and smokiness of the cayenne and chipolte. None of the flavored are overpowing and they go really well together. They also melt on the meat well for a nice crust (see the fabulous close ups of Jerods ribs).

At this point I have only used on pork. I just can't get away from the Tony Chachere's or Huli Huli on chicken, but I will do the HRR on chicken at some point. There was a pretty good consensus that the PBC AP rub is where it's at for turkey and that is my next challenge.

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    John: Since I work with a gaggle of engineers, and I'm pretty anal retentive myself, I understand and appreciate that comment. lol
    Last edited by HC in SC; December 19, 2014, 02:20 PM.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    True John. One letter times itself is technically still one letter. Therefore you're saying HR^2 is theoretically the exact same as HR, the same as 1^2 is still 1? Lol.

I find it so much easier to just type HRR. Or MMD. LOL.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Good to know, Huskee. Thanks!

Kathryn

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    Totally off topic, but thanks for the subscript 2, I see people doing a superscript for double letters and it kills me. Assuming it is 1 letter, if you square it then you would still have 1 letter!
    I can't post a pic in the comments, but LoLo Jones wears a necklace with that reads Lo^2 (can't do superscripts in comments either) NO! maybe 2Lo but never Lo^2.
    Sorry for the rant.

• Huskee
    replied
    You're right Kathryn, a great group we have here. No egos, no insults, no petty competition...just sharing tips tricks advice and recipes. We have a great forum here, thanks to all you good folks!!

About the rub, I've had some folks say it's salty, some say it's savory, and some say it's sweet. I guess it's all of those (in fact that's how I like to describe it) but whichever you're most sensitive to will probably stand out. There are no herbs though, I prefer the savory to come from chili powder, pepper and cumin. It's REALLY good on chicken too. One thing I've found is to ONLY use name brand trusted spices. I've purchased some bargain bin $1 chili powder and it was terrible, it was red salt. Thankfully I taste test spices before using so i didn't waste an entire batch. (I make 4x batches). I suggest good ingredients to really get a good read on it. Like with anything I suppose

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    HC, thanks for that awesome writeup. I'm still on the fence about using mustard (Meathead's recommendations against it go deep I guess) but you and others certainly have me convinced to give HR2 a try.

In general I don't like overly sweet ribs, but the blend of flavors that Huskee has in that rub, especially with a little chipotle added, sounds too good not to ride around the block at least once. Thanks, Huskee for so generously sharing your concoction!

Add that to the many things I like about this site in general and The Pit in particular. When someone shares a recipe or detailed info about a successful cook (especially on equipment that I have), I feel myself inching up the learning curve a bit more. What a great group this is.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here