Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dajoker View Post
    After trimming it weighed just under 8 pounds. I cooked it at 325F to an IT of 145F. Took about 3 hours to get up to temperature. Hoping to get a 15 pound leg for Christmas which I think would take around 5 hours.
    I have an 8.5 lb ham that I'm going to cure. I've never used the calculator and find myself really confused about the wet cure. Even though your ham was 8lbs, did you still use 3 gallons of water like the original wet cure recipe called for?

I feel like a total idiot for asking but, but the wet cure recipe (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...e-wet-cure-ham) is for a 15-20lb ham and I wasn't sure how I was supposed to scale that down for a 8.5 lb ham. So I was worried I was inputting stuff into the calculator wrong.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Salt concentration is important so you should use 1/2 the salt only if you use 1/2 the water. "Scale everything except the Prague powder" is what the calculator instructs.

• LamityGrille
      LamityGrille commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, guys. I get weird about scaling down. So I thought asking before doing anything would be wise. I appreciate the assist!

• dajoker
      dajoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks HorseDoctor just ordered my leg of pork for the Christmas ham.

Has anybody ever said this site is Amazing. This is at least the 3rd thread on hams in the last couple of weeks. It really has got me thinking. Your description of one of the best to ever come off...... just may have tipped it for me. Told my wife & she said that it sounds exciting & wants me to try it. That was the clincher. I’m starting the shopping tomorrow.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here