Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston butt, my first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston butt, my first

The photos show my progress of trying to get it balanced because of the bone inside.
    Temp was a little hot so I've been bringing it down slowly. Both top and bottom vents nearly closed.
    Removed fat cap and salted Nov 16th at 6:30pm.
    Placed on rack on pan and put in fridge uncovered.
    Covered with Meatheads Memphis dust.
    Gonna use SnS and drip n griddle with a pan under meat.
    Put about 15 lit charcoals on one side and fill the rest with unlit.
    Add a 4oz piece of apple wood twice 30 minutes apart.
    Put meat on at 11:00am.
    Oven probe stuck on CB hole where I had tape.
    At 300°, I closed upper vent to 1/2 and lower vent to 2 1/2. Wait and see what temp does.
    Having trouble getting temp down. 12:00, 1 hr later still at 316°.
    1:00, 2 hrs later 283°.
    2:00, 3 hrs later 283°.
    Closed down both vents nearly closed. 1/2 hr later temp is at 277°.
    3:00, 4 hrs later 264°.
    At 3:30 IT is 177°. Gonna let it cook a little longer.

Picture 1. Seasoned with Memphis dust and trussed nice and tight.
    picture 4. I started with to many lit coals. The fire temp was about 316°. I wanted about 250-275°. I couldn't get it down without closing then down. I didn't want to take a chance and let the fire go out.
    Picture 5. Because there was a large bone, I couldn't center the spit very well and had to use both balancers and a pair of channel locks to get it balanced. This is important.
    picture 8. Both vents top and bottom nearly closed.
    ​​​​picture 7. I used these clips to help hold the lid on real tight.
    picture 9. This hole is where I inserted the digital thermometer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joetee; November 20, 2017, 07:09 AM. Reason: Added notes to pictures

I don't know why but the photos are out of order.

Comment

You know it’s serious when you break out the vise grips. Great idea none the less.

Very detailed rundown. Can’t wait to see and hear about the final product. Good luck!!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Real tools for a real cook!

• radshop
        radshop commented
        Editing a comment
        So funny - that was my EXACT thought as I was looking at the pics!

Nice! Real nice!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

At 177 IT you might have a while longer. Several hours in fact.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. I take mine to 203-208°. Resting is a HUGE part of a good pork but for pulling.

Has it hit any stall yet? You might get stuck at this temp for a while. Looking good!

Comment

I don't plan on pulling it. I want to slice it. So I can take it off any time I think.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Removed from grill at 6pm. I think it's pullable. Taste wonderful.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

OMGosh. I'm soooo hungry now.

Kathryn

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Love it!!! Keep cooking and posting. Your setup is super fun

Comment

Beautiful lookin' pork, great pics, especially th' plated one! Money Shot!!!
                          Postin' pics can be kinda goofy, especially multiple...
                          Often, I post one pic, save, then edit after, addin' a pic or two at a time.
                          That way, if things become bumfuggled, I only haveta go back a step or two, instead of all th' way from th' beginnin'...
                          It gets easier, with some practice, but still can be cantankerous, ornery, an recalcitrant, at times...

Comment

• JCGrill
                            JCGrill commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Are you describing posting or me? 😆

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here