Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corned Pork / Pastrami recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned Pork / Pastrami recipe?

I think it would be interesting for the staff to come up with a corned pork / pastrami recipe. Thoughts?

Meathead has a cured pork loin/canadian bacon recipe.

I prefer to use tenderloin and adjust as necessary with the calculator.

Comment

They do! Just follow this sequence
      1. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...uring_ham.html
      2. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/..._pastrami.html (for the pastrami rub)
      3. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...the_grill.html

Comment

I have been thinking about doing a pork belly pastrami or a pastrami bacon for a while but haven't gotten around to it yet. I plan on following my normal pastrami recipe but cooking do a different temp. 150ish for the bacon and fully cooked 190-200/probe tender for the pork belly pastrami.

Comment

Resurrecting an old post. Anyone done pork belly pastrami? Obviously fattier than a trimmed brisket, but it sounds interesting.

Comment

Well pastrami and bacon are both cured with similar agents (pink salt etc) and then smoked so basically the same idea.

The difference is pork vs beef and the other spices added (which don’t affect the cure process but can add surface treatments). And the finishing steps (bacon sliced and fried, vs pastrami finished in the smoker or steamed).

seems to me that pork belly pastrami is just bacon, maybe finished with a different cooking method.

Comment

JCGrill since this post I’ve done a pastrami bacon which was basically following the bacon recipe on this site but adding pickling spices to the cure and then rubbing with a coriander/black pepper rub before smoking. Best of both worlds.

Intend to still do a full porkstrami using pork shoulder but haven’t done it yet. My plan is to cure as per the curing calculator and then smoke to 190-195

Comment

I love the pastrami bacon idea! I’m gonna have to make some in my next batch of bacon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here