Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife bought thin cut boneless chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife bought thin cut boneless chops

I want to put them on low 225 for an internal to 20 below recommended and then flip em over to grill grates. Any thoughts on how to best cook thin "1 in or less" chops?

Just high heat, turn and burn. If they are under 1", reverse sear is not really feasible.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      What Potkettleblack said. I cook them hot n fast. They still may not brown by the time they are done if too thin.

Hot and fast! Get the grill grates searing hot and then flip the chops about 1minute per side for about 6 minutes. Should get good sear and about 145F internal.

Comment

Here's what I do with th' thinner ones:

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Great grub Bonsey. We gotta catch up this weekend!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks fer them kind words, Holmes!
        Lookin' forward to it, Brother!
        Hope ya' actually got a day off; yer startin' to look , well, uh, gaunt, from alla them hours
        Love to y'all there in HBCA!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 13, 2017, 06:58 PM.

Thanks boys. I've got Warp 10 started with the lid open. Flipping every minute

Comment

^^^^ explained
        'bout 15-20 unlit coals, dependin' on how long I want my fire to continue, mebbe 20 lit coals dumped on top..., all coals spread out in th' SJS...
        not a roarin' sear, but a nice medium high direct heat....
        plop yer chops, put th' lid on, vent fairly closed (~1/4-ish open), to keep smoke in
        after ~1 minute, rotate 90°, for ~1 min... keep puttin' that lid on, all th' way home...
        flip, repeat... that's how those were done in my post...
        they were juicy, nicely smokey*, an' delicious!!

* I usually use Kingsford Hickory briqs, or Royal Oak Hickory, sometimes Kingsford Mesquite, in my lol' SJS cookers, fer these fast, hot direct cooks, they add a lot of smokey goodness!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 13, 2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• warren012
          warren012 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking the lid down would create convection and really cook it too fast.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          that's why I use a smaller, direct fire, instead of Warp 10...
          makes fer a nice Maillard
          warren012

Appreciate the advice on this. I flipped two grill grates over and used them as a griddle. Put the skinny ones on and let the two bigger ones cook. Used Thermapen to test temp every minute. Here are the results.

MR. BONES: What is the name of the rub you used? I grew up in New Orleans so I like it a little spicy on just about everything.

ALL: I am still amazed at how techniques can create a nice even doneness across the meat. That's one of my biggest takeaways from the board.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Psinderson
          Psinderson commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like a success! Grill Grates are...well, great!

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look just right!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Trust me, bones recipe will work. He knows his stuff. Me, I would have deep fried the and served with a side of huevos rancheros

I used Arthur Bryant's Meat an' Rib Rub...
        but I use a lot of Cajun rubs, spices, etc. in my cookin', most often my own Cajun seasonin'/rub mixture...
        I lean heavily t'wards th' spiciness, as well...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arthur-Bryants-Meat-Rib_large.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	410305

Comment

Those look fabulous!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, HH, Master of Droolicious Eats!!!
            Appreciate it, Amigo!
            TTYS!

The thin pork chops are best fried (and I may get banned for that comment). Gawd I wish my wife would let me fry things. Being from Georgia living in Atlantic Canada I never get my grease fix.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Fried is good!

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Battered and seasoned spicy, and derp fried... Screw the cardiologist

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here