Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just scored some fresh hocks .89 a lbs !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just scored some fresh hocks .89 a lbs !

Bumped into a bunch got to sell today hocks for .89 cents a lbs. Brining them up then throw them in the freezer

Going to be a nice bonus for the Saturday or sunday smoke!

Did you ask WHY they were on sale???????????

Comment

I saw them yesterday at 1.99 but the sell by is today. I knew they'd be a manager special today. Where I live folks just don't buy them. Very rare to find fresh ones. I get a half a pig for summer and thats about the only time I see them. Smoked ones are easy to get.

I was born at night but not last night.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 17, 2014, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        I know its not a big pic... it was a phone thing. 1000 pardons.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Hock hams are on sale in my store too, again it makes me wonder hwy meat goes on sale seemingly everywhere at the same time.

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with DW. I'm going to ask the butcher when I get north this weekend.

Be nice in a pot of Pinto beans

Comment

Oh yeah and that too.

Comment

They are popular here, $6 a pound!

Comment

WOW, They cant sell em here at 1.99

Comment

First post (yes I know I have homework to do)

Meathead needs to come up with a recipe for what the Austrians call "stelze" and the Bavarians call "schweinshaxe"
              Probably better to find a Bavarian version, as the Austrians start by boiling the ham hock.

I think it is a heart attack on a plate, but on occasion, it's a real treat.

Best regards,
              Jim

Comment

My paternal grandmother would take the fresh hocks, the day before, and blanch them off in a slow(200-225 ish) oven for several hours to render as much fat as she could. Then she would chill them overnight. The next day, she would braise them as usual. Since braising and "Q ing" are both low and slow, I'm sure your favorite pork techniques would work after blanching. However, DW brings up a good point. Beans. Save 1 hock for beans. By the way, save the fat as it makes killer brown roux. Just this old line dogs two cents.

Comment

Perfect for a pot of fresh collard greens!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here