Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hog Jowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Jowls

Anybody ever cure and smoke jowls? I've got a special request. I'll treat them like a belly and see what happens. Any suggestion or things to avoid?

Yup, do it just like bacon. Or cured but unsmoked is guanciale, Italian delicacy.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Best carbonara/amatricana use guanciale.

Cool!! Would love to see pictures!

Comment

Jowl bacon is awesome! That's what we always had when I was a kid.

Comment

I have some jowls in the freezer from the last pig I got. Didn't really know what to do with it. I guess i do now.

Comment

These will be very good. The flavor will explode in your mouth. As others have said, treat it like bacon.

Comment

The thing is that jowls have kind of a creamier texture to their fat. Processing them as guanciale is amazing, and like HorseDoctor and Potkettleblack said, the outcome (especially for carbonara) is incomparable. I wouldn't even consider any other way of prepping them, and I like trying new things.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              It sure sounds like ol’ Ed knows what he’s talking about, cuz I haven’t a clue.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh Man, you cure it a bit, then hang it in a dry, hopefully breezy area for a month or two (would have to check to remember). Heavenly!

Dry or smoke it?

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep.

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Cured but not smoked, like pancetta only done with jowls instead of belly.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I got nothing to add except. "What they said 👆"

Before and after pics wanted.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here