Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mass loss with bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass loss with bacon

Smoked my first pork belly this past weekend. Wish I'd weighed everything at every step but didn't. My question(s) is/are how much mass is lost during the cure? And during the smoke? After slicing some up I gave some away (mistake I know but got friends for life I'm sure) and when I vacuum sealed the remainder this evening I ended up with about 8 lbm. Started the cure with 12 lbm. What % of mass should I expect to lose?

I've only done my second batch and haven't weighed anything yet!

Comment

I started my first 3 3lb'rs tonight. I would be curious myself how much is lost. With that much fat I'd say it sounds about right.

Comment

Haven't cured/smoked any belly fer bacon, yet, but:
        I'd haveta reckon', now that ya' give some away, that yer losses will be from 85%-100%

Comment

If ya send just a little to me than it will be 100%.

Comment

It's all the fat that melts away. Just like bacon. Weigh your bacon after cooking--there's TONS of lost weight (or mass, as you prefer). BYW, it warms my heart--seriously--to see someone use lbm, although I still think metric is superior.

Comment

high loss, but worth it.

Comment

You’re gonna loose some fluid weight during the cure, as some more water loss during smoking. Smoking temp isn’t high enough to render much fat so that loss is minimal. You’ll nibble a little and loose some during slicing as just trim loss. Save that stuff for baked beans etc... Next batch you do just take one slab and weigh it at different stages and see
                what your losses are. I would expect you’ll end up with about 20-25% weight loss from beginning to final packaged bacon not counting ends & scraps.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                  It's all the fat that melts away. Just like bacon. Weigh your bacon after cooking--there's TONS of lost weight (or mass, as you prefer). BYW, it warms my heart--seriously--to see someone use lbm, although I still think metric is superior.
                  I noticed the lbm notation too, and yes, I am a recovering engineer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here