Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with salt in smokey sauna ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with salt in smokey sauna ribs

Hi, I am trying to make 12lb of ribs following Meathead's smokey sauna receipie.
    I wanted to salt the meat in advance to help tenderize the meat, so I used 1/2 tsp salt + 1/8 tsp Prague #1 per pound for dry brining.
    I would have a few question on how I should proceed next.

To begin, I am slightly confused about the amount of salt suggested in the smokey sauna recipe (2tsp/slab, 1slab = 2 pounds) vs the usual 1/4tsp/pound.

And because I added the salt before, will I need to add more later since I will marinate the meat 1h in a 50:50 liquid smoke:water mix ?

Also could I marinate the meat in smoke for 1h the day before I cook it ?

Finally could I cook the ribs a few hours in advance and broil them when the guest arrives ?

Thank you for your help, this website is awesome.

I can’t help you with your question but I can welcome you to The Pit.

Comment

Last question first, yes.

Reading Meathead’s recipe, but never trying it, I would say you could marinate the day before just fine.

I would only salt once. If you dry-brine as you suggest, the meat will absorb some salt and a 1hr soak won’t remove a lot of the salt, IMHO.

Im not sure about the ratios on salt per pound in his recipe.

Again, I’ve never made this recipe, so I don’t have personal experience to go on. But, welcome to fun and learning! Post pictures and impressions of your results if you can!

Comment

Hi, there...welcome to The Pit! Like kmhfive said, you should be able to marinate the day before. The marinade only has water and liquid smoke, no salt. The recipe does not call for dry brining which I'm guessing is because of the marinating part. Normally, if you dry-brined, you would not add any salt to the rub. However, It's possible the marinade part of this recipe may desalinate it a bit. The rub calls for more salt than normal probably because of the lack of dry-brining. You may want to add some salt before the rub, but not nearly as much as the recipe calls for.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm not familiar with what a salt-less marinade might do to something that previously dry-brined.

Comment

kmhfive Yeah I had the same thought for the salt removed during marinating, it's why I used a bit more than usual for brining. I tried this recipe before and found that the ribs could have been more tender.

The last times I tried the recipe, I found that my oven was not strong enough. I had to broil them much longer than I would have liked, which made the thin parts overcooked.

My plan was to cool the ribs before broiling and to tenderize the meat beforehand with salt. But I really don't understand the amount of salt used in the smokey sauna recipe.

Psinderson I will try to cook a small part before adding salt and will see what I get. Even without dry brining the meat is still sitting 2h covered in foil at 225, the salt would have more than enough time to penetrate the meat, if I were to follow the original recipe 2tsp per slab is a LOT !
          ​​​​​

Thanks for your help, I will post pictures this time !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here