Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon over jerky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NukeGuy
    replied
    Well did the first 12 pounds yesterday. A week of cure and about 2 hours on the smoker. A few hours in the fridge then a visit to the slicer. After supper wife decided we were trying it and when it was done before I even got a taste she announced we are never buying bacon again. That's my idea of success. Thanks for all the help.

Leave a comment:

• kmhfive
    commented on 's reply
    Like other smoke's and cooks ==> Have Fun!

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    150 internal. Pull it off. Let it cool enough that you can handle it. If the skin is still on, now is the time to remove it (filet or boning knife). Trim a bit off for the Boss to make sure it meets the quality standard. Fridge it, then slice it. Separate into appropriate portions, and vac seal it (or other method). Freeze what you'r not going to eat in the next week. And above all, Enjoy!

• NukeGuy
    replied
    Bacon will be on day 8 of cure tomorrow AM. Going in the smoker. Is there some special prayer or dance or something I should be doing? Bacon virgin here. A bit nervous but almost as much committed as the pig. Get 'er done is my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• NukeGuy
    replied
    I smoke my jerky at about 225F and do everything in the smoker. Takes about 1.5 to 2 hours. I try and use eye of round but have used inside and outside. This weekend will be eye of round (about 12-13 pounds) and maybe some inside round my butcher said was a good price. I'll have to look at it. I normally marinate for about 24 hours but wife said we are doing it 2 days this time. She likes teriyaki so I'm making teriyaki this weekend.

Think I'll catch the drippings this time and see how they are before I allow the drippings to slather the jerky. I've got another belly in the freezer....

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    When I cook jerky, I like to cook at 225 F. But I never let the neat get over 165 F. I find that is gets really tough if you take it over that in the smoker. After the smoking, I move it to a dehydrator to finish it off. You don't need a ton of smoke flavor in jerky. Since it is so thin, it picks up the smoke very easily.

I would not cook these together. Start your pit, smoke you jerky for maybe 1/2 hr to an hour, then remove it for the dehydrator, then add you bacon to the smoker.

Here is a post I started a while back for making jerky, if you want to see what I did in detail. I am not a jerky master, this is just what worked for me. My guides were pretty happy as well.

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    The only possible problem I see is that the bacon should cook at 200-225*. Whenever I do Jerky I run 160-170*. 225* may cook the Jerky instead of drying it.
    Interesting idea about the bacon fat dripping on the Jerky. May make for a very different flavor. Hmmm
    bacon flavored Jerky. You might be on to something here. Keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• NukeGuy
    started a topic Bacon over jerky?

Bacon over jerky?

Tried to post this earlier but I guess it got lost in the ether.

Smoking my first bacon this weekend since it's cured for a week. I use a MasterBuilt Sportsman Elite smoker. Had only planned on doing the belly but I took some beef jerky to work and am now forced to make jerky as well.

My question is can I do the bacon on the top racks and the jerky below with the belly dripping mingled with the jerky? I have no idea what's going to come out of the pork at this point. Is it worth keeping like bacon grease? I never discard that liquid gold, it all gets consumed in some fashion.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here