Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt-Now I'm Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6th Borough BBQ
    commented on 's reply
    2nd the twine part....it is a small detail that is very important.

• Willy
    replied
    As y'all knew, the packages indeed had two butts each, so, four butts totaling 30-ish pounds after trimming. Got'em dry brined Tuesday night for a Friday cook (one day ahead of the block party cuz I'm not getting up to start a cook at 1 AM). Vacuum seal after cooking/cooling and then up to temp via sous vide before going into CrockPots. Looks like about 60 adults and a dozen kids and I think with the pork, four chickens, hot dogs for the kids (gonna be a terrorist and just boil 'em to save time and last minute cooking) a couple pounds of tocino, and a batch of slaw, as well as potluck dishes from each guest, no one should go hungry.

I do wish the butts were bone-in, both to eliminate the need to tie and to provide the satisfaction of pulling the clean bone right out of the cooked butt. C'est la vie.

Leave a comment:

• Baltassar
    replied
    I've did this exact thing first time I bought pork butt at Costco. Costco is almost incapable of selling one (1) of anything smaller than a table saw. Why sell one large jar/chunk/box of X when you shrink-wrap two of them together!

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    And you will have more surface area for bark.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    texastweeter my understanding is that it is either Swift or Smithfield

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    me three

• DWCowles
    replied
    What they said

Leave a comment:

• kmhfive
    replied
    Yep… you have both the right kind of meat and the right mass/weight but you have four individual pieces instead of two — hey, more bark!!😃

Leave a comment:

• alans38
    commented on 's reply
    Kirkland

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    what brand are they?

• ecowper
    replied
    I like the Costco butts .... they are indeed 2 to a pack, thus why the typical cryovac weight is around 15 lbs ..... you will have four boneless pork butts, each weighing 7-8 lbs. you will want some butcher’s twine to tie them with. Once the bone is removed, they have a very odd shape and parts of the butt kinda flop around. The Costco butts are good quality meat and pretty darn predictable from a cooking perspective.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    pork but is butt... bone in bone out, it will all be GREAT

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    Yeah, mine are 2x per package.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    So I'm guessing that when I open the packages, there will be two pieces. I will confirm or deny by Thursday AM. Regardless, I did buy the proper amount of pork, (30 pounds) and, if it is two pieces, my world will not have suddenly been turned upside down. ;«)

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Mine too!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here