Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt-Now I'm Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt-Now I'm Confused

I have been under the impression that a large pork butt runs 9-10 pounds WITH the bone in. SInce we are hosting a neighborhood picnic this weekend, I decided to do chicken and pulled pork (and tocino!). So, anyway, at Costco today then had what they called boneless pork shoulder butt (??), I bought two, assuming that they are indeed "butt", but I am puzzled by weight, which was 15+# each. Did I buy the "right" thing?

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      How much does that weigh?

The pork butts at the Costco near me are usually 2 to a package, but only the total combined weight is listed on the label. Assuming that’s what you bought as well?

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      In the cryovac, both packages look like a single piece of meat. Looks like I'll need to wait til I dry brine 'em Wednesday night to be certain.
      Last edited by Willy; November 2, 2017, 01:26 PM.

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Bet you "dollars to doughnuts" you have 4 butts (2/package). Common mistake for those buying crypto wrapped butts first time. Enjoy!

Costco butts have always been two per pack in my area.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine too!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      me three

So I'm guessing that when I open the packages, there will be two pieces. I will confirm or deny by Thursday AM. Regardless, I did buy the proper amount of pork, (30 pounds) and, if it is two pieces, my world will not have suddenly been turned upside down. ;«)

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      And you will have more surface area for bark.

Yeah, mine are 2x per package.

Comment

pork but is butt... bone in bone out, it will all be GREAT

Comment

I like the Costco butts .... they are indeed 2 to a pack, thus why the typical cryovac weight is around 15 lbs ..... you will have four boneless pork butts, each weighing 7-8 lbs. you will want some butcher’s twine to tie them with. Once the bone is removed, they have a very odd shape and parts of the butt kinda flop around. The Costco butts are good quality meat and pretty darn predictable from a cooking perspective.

Comment

• alans38
          alans38 commented
          Editing a comment
          Kirkland

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter my understanding is that it is either Swift or Smithfield

• 6th Borough BBQ
          6th Borough BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          2nd the twine part....it is a small detail that is very important.

Yep… you have both the right kind of meat and the right mass/weight but you have four individual pieces instead of two — hey, more bark!!😃

Comment

What they said

Comment

I've did this exact thing first time I bought pork butt at Costco. Costco is almost incapable of selling one (1) of anything smaller than a table saw. Why sell one large jar/chunk/box of X when you shrink-wrap two of them together!

Comment

As y'all knew, the packages indeed had two butts each, so, four butts totaling 30-ish pounds after trimming. Got'em dry brined Tuesday night for a Friday cook (one day ahead of the block party cuz I'm not getting up to start a cook at 1 AM). Vacuum seal after cooking/cooling and then up to temp via sous vide before going into CrockPots. Looks like about 60 adults and a dozen kids and I think with the pork, four chickens, hot dogs for the kids (gonna be a terrorist and just boil 'em to save time and last minute cooking) a couple pounds of tocino, and a batch of slaw, as well as potluck dishes from each guest, no one should go hungry.

I do wish the butts were bone-in, both to eliminate the need to tie and to provide the satisfaction of pulling the clean bone right out of the cooked butt. C'est la vie.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here