Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with a whole pork loin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a whole pork loin?

One of my staff gave me a whole pork loin from his buddy’s farm. I haven’t weighed it but it’s a big one. Seeking recommendations for what I should do with it — since it’s just my wife and me eating (plus maybe our neighbors), I don’t know that it makes sense to cook it whole. Should I break it down and get a few meals out of it? If so, what cuts?

I have a PBC, a Weber kettle with a SnS, a Weber genesis, and an Anova sous vide at my disposal.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

The ends can be used as roasts and the center can be center loin chops.... plenty of videos out there on breaking one down.

Comment

You could cut it into decently thick chops for portioning out over time. SV them and sear. Or slow on the kettle to 140 or so, then sear. Or many other variations on the same thing. Main thing is not to let the IT get too high before you sear, so they stay moist. It's not a piece of meat with much intramuscular fat.

Comment

Lots of options! I would cut it into 2” boneless chops and grill them up. Season as you wish or SV if you want, but do not over cook!!! Loin is a lean cut so prone to dry if over cooked. Wrapped in bacon is always good! Enjoy!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Shoulda read EdF post first. Pretty much what he said! 🤔

I agree with the above, a pork loin is a very useful cut of meat! I usually end up going half thick (1.5-2") chops and half loin roast. I always like the chops better because of more Maillard....but the roasts are sure juicy. I wet brine all my loins & chops, then indirectly cook on the hot side (325ish) up to 145 ...mmmmm juicy .

Comment

roll fillet it, stuff it with pepper jack, boudan, and crawfish tails. Roll it back up, and season with Cajun seasoning. Then wrap with bacon and smoke. Pull 10 degrees before done and roll it around on a hot grill to crisp the bacon. Any left over slice thick and make sammiches out of it with a crusty French bread!

Comment

Steve Raichlen has a great recipe for a bacon wrapped bourbon with mustard sauce pork loin that I’ve made on several occasions. It is fantastic!
            Now I’m thinking I need to fire one up. I cannot figure out how to post the link but a simple google search you’ll find it if interested.

Comment

Take one decent end of the loin and make Meathead’s stuffed pork loin. One of my absolute favorite things to do with loin.

Comment

Thanks, everybody. I wound up doing all chops, as cooking a loin roast wasn’t going to be viable at the time. Did the first batch sous vide (ok but not great — not sure if I didn’t give them long enough) and the second batch just in cast iron skillet (which actually worked out better).

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  135xthickness recommendation time... good pork loin doesn't need extra time beyond coming to temp. 2" thick would be 3-5 hours, something like that.

I find that 140 produces a drier pork with a bit of a granular texture on the tongue.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Assume you meant to type 2 x thickness @135F?

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No... recommended time x 135. 1-3 hours based on the thickness.

I also forget that I like to wet brine my chops for an hour in Blonder Brine.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here