Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Store-Bought Buns for Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Store-Bought Buns for Pulled Pork

I'm going to make about 40lb of Pork Butt for my office next week and doing the shopping this weekend at Costco. I'd like to pick up buns if I can while I'm there. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a store-bought bun that won't kill my budget?

I'm all about the pretzel buns.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pretzel-rolls-recipe-fp.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	398215

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, gosh,@Guttenberg , this is so good, the saltiness of this bun balanced with the sweetness of pulled pork. If you can find them, get them. If you want to make them, then have fun with it.

Kathryn

I use the franz sesame buns from costco

Comment

You might consider slider buns. They are a little smaller but come 12 to a pack. If one is not enough for anyone, they can go back for more. At Costco, there won't be much of a selection, so you will be stuck with whatever they have. If slider buns sound good, check their price before going to Costco. Compare the price per bun between the two, and then decide. But remember that you will use more slider buns since they are smaller.

Comment

Kings Hawaiian. Little buns make great sliders.

Comment

• Guttenberg
          Guttenberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Good pick, those are nice and sweet. And works with RonB reco too.

Thanks all.

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent recommendation

I love the KH buns with pulled pork!!!!

Comment

King Hawaiian 👍

Comment

Kings Hawaiian and Pretzel Buns, look no further.

Comment

Martin's Potato Rolls. Best buns out there for bbq or burgers.

Comment

All the above are really good, but I don't get too fancy when it comes to buns. Some of the best BBQ joints I have ever been to just serve it up with a couple of slices of plain old white loaf bread. More often than not, when people are coming over and ask what to bring, I just make sure somebody is bringing buns and go with whatever they bring.

Comment

• Guttenberg
                  Guttenberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like your style

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  me too. But for family, they love pretzel buns.

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1

Or if you are feeling ambitious, bake your own. I broke out my mom's old recipe this year and it was a marginal success. With a little more practice it's going to be lights out.

Comment

Well, some people say to get the cheapest white supermarket buns you can find! It's the meat, not the wrapping!

Comment

• jecucolo
                    jecucolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I served pork butt for my grandson's birthday and his father bought white bread. I thought it was a little too simple but everyone loved it.

I, too, would vote for "slider" sized rolls if it’s a crowd. Makes the meat go farther, especially with those really hungry (normally guys) who pile the buns high with meat. They’ll take as much as they can fit, but are a little shy about returning for seconds, thirds or fourths. At least it slows them down a little.
                  King’s Hawaiian, Potato rolls or Pretzel rolls.
                  Best regards,

Jim

Comment

Found these on Amazon but the price is beyond ridiculous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	413d2y3LnTL.SX500_SY385_CR,0,0,500,385_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_SX500_SY385_CR,0,0,500,385_SH20_.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	398505

Comment

I would go with slider or potato buns. Not everyone enjoys the taste of the pretzel bun (but I would). More important is to have onions and pickles. If you have those and the beef, no one will notice the type of bread.

Comment

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not everyone enjoys the taste of white bread or potato buns either, and if they ARE pretzel buns everyone WILL notice the type of bread =)

Another option is go to a local bakery.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here