Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs, served with white corn on the cob. These were pretty large baby backs - maybe toddler backs? A lot of them were able to stand up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blasphemy-ribs4.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	729587

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated14.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	729586

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close14.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	729585

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Toddler backs.

mgaretz, ya done made me weak in the knees! Wooowee that looks delicious!!

Comment

Just made yet another batch of Blasphemy Ribs. Served with snap peas in butter.

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated15.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	741581

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close15.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	741580

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't believe I haven't tried this yet. Every time you post a photo my mouth waters.

Kathryn

mgaretz You first posted about Blasphemy Ribs almost two years ago. What tweaks/changes have you made to improve the recipe/technique since then. By the way, the few times I made them, they were great.

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        The latest version is actually in the first post in this thread. I updated it recently.

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks

"...others have found this also works for St. Louis cut ribs with the same temp and timings. I suspect full spares would behave the same...."

I agree with this. I did a rack of St Louis spares this past weekend that were Duroc pork from Compart Farms in southern Minnesota.

My Weber gas grill has a hard time settling at 225F -- it swung between 225 and 250F during this cook. The meatiest ribs were done perfectly at the 2 1/2 hour mark -- succulent and bite-off-the-bone tender. I kept the smaller ribs closer to the front of the grill where it's a little bit cooler. They were a tiny bit drier at 2 1/2 hr, but they were still very acceptably tender and moist.

Next time I'll use the smoker so I can keep the temp dialed in at a consistent 225F, and I think they'll all be perfect.

Comment

When I do my Tuscan style, I think of them as Blasphemy Ribs with Italian seasonings. They aren't really chewy; they're steak-y.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I love those Tuscan ribs!

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Tuscan style? Please do tell.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Cut into two rib sections. Salt. Grill until nicely browned, drizzle with garlic infused olive oil and lemon juice.

That looks amazing, mgaretz! Thanks for sharing this!

Comment

Two racks of St. Looey style ribs done this past weekend. 2 1/2 hours on the nose at 225F. This time I used my 18 inch Smoke Vault propane smoker rather than my Weber gasser, and got better control over my temps. Meat was rubbed with no-sugar, no-salt Memphis Dust. At 2 hours, I sauced the ribs with a thin coating of locally made Lynch BBQ sauce cut about 1:1 with homemade peach jam. I used maybe 1/3 cup of sauce for 2 racks to add a little shine and a light fruity kick. Served with fresh sweet corn, baked beans, and locally brewed hard cider.

Name:	blasphemyRibs 2019 09.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	747979

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the pic that is making me want some ribs badly. I keep coming back to it. A month and a half almost later.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for commenting on this, klflowers, so I'd see this pic again. That was the perfect supper for a lovely evening on the deck. I need to do that again. Although with recent weather here in Iowa, it would have to be a rib supper eaten next to the woodstove.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I am thinking about making it my computer wallpaper lol

Got some on the grill now. They'll be done in 2h15m Click image for larger version

Name:	B Ribs -1.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	752150

Comment

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs, served with broccoli. My usual shot of the smoke ring was all fuzzy, so not worth posting.

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated16.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	767632

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              You always make them look so delectable.

K.

Knock it off with the pics. I’m at work.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Slackin' on the job, eh?

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              You bet

Finally remembered to re-shoot the smoke "ring" from the latest batch. This is from reheated leftovers.

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close16.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	768589

Comment

I've really been resisting these, but I'm finally joining the parade. I have some sitting in the rub now. I'm using the homemade version of Malcom Reed's BBQ Rub. Sauce will be Sweet Baby Ray's Original. Will report back.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                This is getting exciting! A half hour to go before saucing. Then have been pretty stable between 220 and 230 - mostly in the 225-228 range. Cooking on the offset work lump charcoal and controlling the temp with my Fireboard. Ambient is about 36°F, and dropping, so the temp drops pretty quickly if the fire doesn't stay hot enough, even with the insulation wrap on the cook chamber. I know I'm using more fuel than in warmer weather.

So, the blasphemy ribs came out very good. The flavor profile - the combination of rub, sauce and smoke was excellent. The doneness was pretty good (I actually cooked them for 2:45 to get better tack on the sauce.) The texture/bite wasn't quite what I have come to expect from my whole rack ribs, which I prefer, but it wasn't bad be any stretch, just a tad denser. On the whole we both liked them and would make/eat them again, but I don't see them replacing my regular ribs.

The ones I made were SLC's individually sliced and packaged in the supermarket. Served with a Latinx yellow rice and a salad of spring greens and crumbled feta.

Name:	IMG_20191117_193621-1512x2016.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	770235Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191117_193657-1512x2016.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	770236

Comment

Those look moist!

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, they weren't dry.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here