Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mgaretz, do the racks you use weigh closer to 2 lb or 3 lb? Thanks. Also, gonna try this.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I too am a fan of the smaller "baby" backs....2 to 2.5lbs/rack. 3lbs+ are loin backs if you ask me.

• Maineac
      Maineac commented
      Editing a comment
      I only ask because it is my experiences that there is a big difference in cook times between 2 lb and 3 lb ribs.

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually use racks in the 2.5 to 3# range. The last one was 2.44#

mgaretz This is an amazing technique - #respect to the max!

Comment

Does this work for Beef Back Ribs on a 3 burner Spirit II gasser with Grill Grates? Do I need to make any adjustments? Have a single rack at 3.5 pounds total. Will Mesquite wood chips work for this? Want to do Saturday, but can wait until Sunday if I need to. Would like to do Blasphemy style, if it will work. Also looked at Cliff Cantwell recipe for Beef Back Ribs. Appreciate any advice. Pretty much a newbie at smoking.

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        There's no reason why the technique won't work, but it took me many attempts to get the timing right.

• SmokingSteve
        SmokingSteve commented
        Editing a comment
        So do you think the timing would be different for beef vs pork? Package label says Choice Beef Spareribs.

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        I would think so, but I really don’t know. Based on my experience with regular vs blasphemy baby backs, I’d take a full rack beef rib timing and cut it in half as a starting point.

I really like this technique. It's taken me several tries to get it just how the wife and I enjoy it, but wow are they good. We like the rub and bark on all the sides. I've found that if I cut right next to the rib on one side I get one side with almost no meat and nice and thick on the other. I smoke them with the meatless side down. Being old fashioned Texans we don't sauce our ribs. I do use a sweet, spicy rub and spritz with apple juice a couple of times. These are flavorful, moist, tender ribs. I doubt that I cook BB ribs any other way for a while. Thank you mgaretz for for this great idea!

Comment

mgaretz for president 2020! Platform: "separated to start but sauced at the end"

Comment

Husband happy. Dogs ecstatic. I'm very pleased.

This was my first try at low and slow cooking on my new Weber 330 grill. I went through a serious learning curve tonight trying to get this grill to maintain a low temp consistently. The weather had something to do with it -- 33 degrees F and a light wind -- as well as operator inexperience.

Thank goodness the ribs were tolerant of all the temperature gyrations. I didn't get a nice smoke ring, but that will come. What I did get was smoky, tender, flavorful ribs, and that's a win in my book. I think I'll use my smoker if cooking for a crowd, but it's nice to know I can convince the Weber to do this job too.

Ribs were seasoned with a generous coating of Memphis rub and lightly glazed with a ketchup based sauce. Served with buttered cabbage, beans cooked on the grill, and homemade applesauce.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030572 800.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	622442

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Those ribs look yummy, IowaGirl. Congrats on taming that 330 too.

Kathryn

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            -33F! Yikes! Time move to Arizona!

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            @Willy
            I think she meant plus 33. The hyphens appear to be acting like parentheses.

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs. Served with sweet white corn in butter. Normally the ribs get cooked on their side on a stainless grill grate, and the ribs stick to the grate. I never realized how that made them easier to sauce on the top and side (the underside stayed un-sauced). But today I picked up a non-stick grill grate hoping that would make the cleanup easier. It did make the cleanup a little easier, but the ribs slid around while trying to baste them. So I got out the tongs, basted the top and side, then flipped them and basted the other side. It didn't change them much, but they were still great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated9.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	629244

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close9.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	629243

Comment

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            This rack was just over 2 lbs.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            I love it when a blasphemy comes together! :-)

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs.

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated10.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	646032

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close10.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	646031

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Is there a Nobel prize for rib innovation? If so, you are the uncontested winner.

• Jared49
            Jared49 commented
            Editing a comment
            As soon as we are out of the freezer here in WISCONSIN, I’m gonna give them a whirl!!

• Timbo54
            Timbo54 commented
            Editing a comment
            My go to way to cook ribs now. Brisket Syndicate up the game by wrapping in thin slices of bacon. Both are delicious and cook much faster.

Name:	CDFF303D-791F-438B-99DB-ADF44C3EABE9.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	650381 Made this tonight. A fantastic recipe. Couple of mistakes. Cooked on a Grilla pellet grill set at 225 and got a good smoke flavour. The 2.5 hour time frame seemed about right although maybe a bit more "pull off the bone" than I usually like. Think my big mistake was the rub/dry brine. Put on 6 hours early as per the recipe, used a mixture the Grilla all purpose rub and Henrik’s pork rub both of which contain salt. I usually like a heavy rub, so I think I put too much on given the long time on the meat. Ribs came out a fairly salty, enven though I like salt. Will cut to a lighter rub next time. Still a great option for a quicker cook.

Name:	CB957ABB-6157-4613-898D-DF80155F99FA.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	650380

Comment

Name:	FC65256A-04DD-423A-A330-C42D9B1E8179.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	661691 I followed you recipe for Blasphemy Ribs yesterday (4-7-19) on my 18” WSM. Only issue I had was that my frozen package of St. Lewey ribs, from Costco, was a 3-pack. That was too many for the 18”. Should have smoked only 2 racks. Turned out awesome. My only change is that I didn’t sauce as "swmbo" & I have different tastes in sauces. Smoked @225(ish) for 2.5 hrs. Love the shorter smoking time. Click image for larger version

Name:	DD163DF3-75A6-4153-A20D-200A2A024441.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	661689Click image for larger version

Name:	23E41116-007C-45D8-97A1-A187AECBB66A.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	661690

Comment

I'll add my thanks as well, brilliant approach. We did the back rib version, glazed with a Koreanish sauce that evolved from an oven brazing recipe. Woked up some fried rice to accompany...….yum.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yet another batch of Blasphemy Ribs, served with steamed spinach and butter. Glad to see so many of you are now embracing the blasphemy!

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated11.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	661979

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close11.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	661978

Comment

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
                I find the St. Louis ribs more annoying to eat, with layers of connective tissue in between layers of meat, plus the annoying little cartilage ends you have to nibble through and around to get to more of the meat on one end of the bone. Again, just a personal preference, I think.
                St. Louis trim eliminates the breast bone and the excess flap meat.

Comment

Name:	DA844856-585A-4EE2-98C0-3EBF6F609938.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	662375 I have made these ribs twice now, the first time I did not think they would be cooked in two hours so I cooked them longer and they were over cooked. I made them on Sunday and they were done in 2 1/2 hours and they were pretty good. Everyone likes them but my wife prefers the 3-2-1 rib method. Here is the picture of the finished product.

Comment

I like this idea. I am going to have to try this out. Thanks for the great info.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here