Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, great idea and perfect looking. Maybe I'll do some double or triple Blasphemy (cut into two or three before cooking) - that would be maybe a single lunch serving for a guy my age. If I were still a teenager I would need the whole rack - bakers dozen Blasphemy.

Comment

Did this over this past weekend. Game changer. As someone else said, it's nice to be able to make ribs through the week now. Thanks for this mgaretz Definitely needs to be added to tested recipes Huskee

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181006_211213.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	577045

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        Wowsers. Those look spectacular

Did the same method with a rack of STL cut ribs. Turned out amazing. So it looks like this works for both. Neither we're "fall off the bone", but like many I prefer to have a little carnivore bite to ribs.

Name:	IMG_20181014_115235.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	579197

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Great. I haven't tried them with STL's. Did you change the timing or temp?

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        mgaretz Nope. Did them the exact same way as you stated.

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know!

I guess about the only negatives I can see with this method are that you can’t use a rib rack on your kettle, and cannot hang them in a PBC, reducing cook capacity, and limiting you to the grate in the PBC. That said, it’s blasphemy ribs for me unless I gotta do more than 2-3 racks.

I guess my offset can handle 6 racks laid flat, and maybe a hover grill could help the kettle do more of these.

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        We had discussed hanging them in a PBC up thread. You could hang them if you put them in one of those racks made for cooking fish.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea mgaretz - if I ever get a PBC I'll have to be sure to get some of their hanging baskets.

Great post! Will be adding this to the arsenal. jfmorris I have a hover grill so I may experiment with this. Been too long since I cooked some ribs.....

Comment

Smoked another batch today:

Name:	blasphemy-ribs3.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	579694

Plated, served with white corn and salad:

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated6.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	579696

A couple of close-ups of cut ribs, one across the side, one off the top:

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close6.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	579693

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close6b.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	579695

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Mmmmmmm. I feel a rib cook coming on this weekend!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm so going to try this.

K.

Wow, I am glad this post got refreshed, and I was able to see this wonderful idea. Will try this weekend!!

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, this is an awesome way to have great ribs in half the time - and my wife and kids like them better, as each rib has bark and spice and sauce on all sides...

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Like jfmorris said, "in half the time" or as I like to say AT halftime during your favorite team's or teams' game.

I had to give this a try! I used BBs, got them in kosher salt and MMD in a jumbo ziploc for 24 hours. Got my 26” kettle w/ a water filled SNS up to 225F and got the "wibs" (nod to FireMan ) on at 3pm today with a couple of hickory chunks. This was great since I took the fam to the movies today and didn’t get home til 1:30pm! I minded the ambient temp more carefully than normal on this cook keeping it close to 225. After 2 hours I hit half of them with Ogre Sauce and half with a Korean Gochujang sauce. 30 min more and I took them off.

Verdict: My wife liked them, but my kiddo and I not as much. They were drier and chewier than normal, tho there was a wide variance from rib to rib which makes sense, and one I had was particularly good. But overall they just didn’t render as well... maybe I did something wrong. All that said I would absolutely do this again if I had a time constraint and ribs to smoke. Good to have another tool in the tool belt, so thanks for that! 👍🏻
        Attached Files

Comment

Well, they all looked really good to me, I think I would have had to taste at least half of them. 🕶

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            I did my best, took down a half dozen! 😎

St. Louis are bigger and meatier. The additional exposed surface is certainly going to produce more moisture loss. Maybe the BBs are a little too small to stand it? Just a guess. And you know sometimes you don't get such a great rack of ribs. It happens.

Comment

Gochujang!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              Mmmm hmmmmm... all three of us love it, thank goodness!

Another batch (served with raw carrots and green beans in butter). This time the blasphemy method came in handy as I barely made it back to the house in time to get these started. (Got a new car battery installed at Wally's and they took 4 hours to do it. Don't get me started - but I can now tell you where every item in that store is located!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	601855

Click image for larger version  Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	601854
            Last edited by mgaretz; December 3, 2018, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              4 hours for a battery replacement? Where is your battery hidden in your car? I can feel your pain.

​ ​ I did these yesterday to take to my neighbours house for something a little different and they were very good. I did cook them a little longer and that was a mistake. Everyone said they were better than my 3-2-1 ribs I usually make. I put Meatheads KC bbq sauce on them as well. I also made a batch of maritime baked beans, both dishes were a hit. There was none left afterwards, I will make the ribs this way again.

Comment

Damn, how did I never see this post. First I was like:

Name:	Hell No.png
Views:	286
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	619374

Then I got to thinking about today's cook...an 8.5lb butt and 2 racks of BB ribs. I was trying to figure out how to cram all on my kettle using a rib rack and/or the hover grill. Then I read this post. Then I saw the pictures of the finished product and I am on the way to the kitchen to cut them up and put them in a gallon zip lock. I am NOW like:

Name:	Hell Yes.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	619375

Comment

• droopie69
                droopie69 commented
                Editing a comment
                All HAIL mgaretz Blasphemy ribs today were incredible. 2 racks gone like vultures had swooped in!!!

Glad to see that many of you are embracing the blasphemy!

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs, served with broccoli made in the InstantPot.

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated8.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	620508

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close8.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	620507

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I keep forgetting to try this on rib day. Looks beautiful.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here