Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mgaretz is the most blasphemous blasphemer who ever blasphemed! Keep doing you, brother! I am definitely going to give this a shot one of these days.

Comment

This method really is awesome. After trying blasphemy ribs for the first time my wife and son have insisted that I never use any other method from now on.

I'll be doing some up this weekend and I'm going to have to do more than I usually plan for. All good!

Comment

Finally made another batch:

Click image for larger version

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-plated5.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	548603

Name:	blasphemy-ribs-close5.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	548602

Comment

• barebear
          barebear commented
          Editing a comment
          Happening w/ my next rack of BB -- any one have thoughts as to how well this technique will work on SLRs ? --I'm still very new to my Traeger and would rather ask than be sorry.
          No temp. control issues w/ the new Silverton.

Oh Wow! Those Blasphemy Ribs look amazing. I've gotta try them when I get a chance.

Comment

• barebear
          barebear commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too, but first trying a small brisket point and some version of beef ribs.

Hi ! Just saw this and live close to you in Oakland --are these baby back ribs or SL ? -they're gorgeous . Off topic for 1 second ( you look a lot like me except I have more beard ). If anyone else can tell if thery're BB or SL, please let me know --its Wed 8/22 and I have 2 racks of BB to do tomorrow (have never done BB before )

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          The mgaretz ribs are backs. Are those the one you were asking about?

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like babys to me.

• barebear
          barebear commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF -- yes, and having fun --my first BB attempt turned out great.

I just did 3 racks of very meaty baby backs this way. Gave 1/3 of the bounty to my daughter, and kept the rest. I used Meathead's KC Sweet sauce, with the max sugar/honey...love them sweet. Used Memphis Dust (version with no salt) and then Lumberjack pellets MHC Blend. Also, I experimented by putting a couple of chunks of hickory on top of the steel thing that covers the fire pot. It seemed to work. I got great smoke, great flavor and there was a nice little ash pile where the chunks were. Verdict: we all loved the result. I am sure this will be the "go to" method from now on.
        Last edited by marc82much; September 2, 2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• barebear
          barebear commented
          Editing a comment
          I've got a Traeger Silverton -- the Traeger Gourmet blend ( hickory,cherry, and apple ) puts out yum flavor --I like them sweet too --next time I try BB, I'm thinking about a little fresh orange juice and Grand Marnier added to the mix of reduced ( cooked down) apple juice and maple syrup ala MHG. If anyone reading this has tried anything of this sort, please post details and results.
          Last edited by barebear; September 2, 2018, 10:45 AM.

I’m gonna have a go at this tomorrow, mostly so I can sleep in on Labor Day and cook the ribs in just 2 hours!

Comment

• barebear
          barebear commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm gonna try it too w/ my next rack of BB, but am going to be trying a small brisket point and some version of beef ribs first.

I just want to say that I cooked 3 racks of baby backs on Labor Day using your "Blasphemy" method, and I think they were some of the best ribs we've ever eaten - and done twice as fast as normal too! I think the seasoning, smoke and sauce getting on all 4 sides of each rib made a huge difference, versus when you cook the slab whole, and slice it after cooking.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, as followup, I tried this again on my kettle+SNS and was less pleased with the results. 3 racks of cut up baby backs was too much, and I ended up stacking them in a second layer with help of an oven roasting rack. The kettle just doesn't have the airflow of the offset, and the bark was not nearly so good. Blasphemy on the offset for me apparently is the way to go!

I cooked a rack of Baby backs using this method last weekend. The wife just loved them, said they were the best she ever had. You're making me look good!!! Thx!

Comment

Must try this

Comment

mgaretz We need to get your Blasphemy Ribs written up and into the "Tested Recipes" section of the website! Huskee how do we make that happen? I feel that if my cook of these ribs was worthy of mention in the monthly newsletter, we need it documented as an official recipe or process.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
              mgaretz We need to get your Blasphemy Ribs written up and into the "Tested Recipes" section of the website! Huskee how do we make that happen? I feel that if my cook of these ribs was worthy of mention in the monthly newsletter, we need it documented as an official recipe or process.
              Not a bad idea. Mods scour the vast hallways here looking for special recipes that can potentially make the cut, then line them up for Chef Ryan to look through. I will make sure to include this in the list of choices.

Comment

Would you guys consider these "pull off the bone ribs" instead of "fall off the bone"? Everyone around here, except me, likes them to fall off the bone. To which I usually reply, "why don't I just smoke pulled pork then?" To each their own I guess. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  These have the consistency of good baby backs, but with bark and whatever glaze you use on all 4 sides of each rib bone, versus having two naked edges when you cut the slab apart. If you make them right the meat comes right off the bone cleanly. If you are used to the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method, and foiling the ribs, these will not be quite that fall apart.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For what its worth, my wife and kids always liked that "fall off the bone" I would get if I wrapped in foil like in the 2-2-1 method. They all overwhelmingly like THESE ribs better, and its 2.5 hours total, unwrapped. In fact, they asked that I cook all ribs using this method going forward! There is just so much more flavor.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Personally, I prefer "pull off the bone".

BigD just do it! ;-) Here is some inspiration. Brined/tossed in a mix of MMD with kosher salt (1/2 tsp per pound salt added to the MMD), and glazed with Blue's Hog.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8555.JPG Views:	2 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	575269Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8559.JPG Views:	1 Size:	383.2 KB ID:	575268

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They look Amazing! I'm hungry again.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m with you fuzzydaddy - I had Domino’s for dinner, and am consoling myself with beer. Wish I had time to cook this weekend but not looking promising...

• BigD
                  BigD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dang! Those look amazing! I'm definitely going to have to try them!!

Here's my take on these ribs. The ones on the left are Memphis style, and the ones on the right are Asian style. This works well because my wife loves the Asians while I prefer the Memphis. Sorry for the crappy cell phone photo, and I forgot to shoot the finished ribs...

Name:	P_20181003_172827[1].jpg
Views:	293
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	575323

Comment

• mgaretz
                  mgaretz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is exactly what I do most of the time as my wife likes the Asian style too. In fact, this is how I came up with the Blasphemy Ribs idea in the first place.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here