Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blasphemy Ribs

Blasphemy Ribs

Here is a new way to cook ribs that I am calling Blasphemy Ribs.

Normally we smoke a whole rack of ribs, low and slow, for 5-6 hours. Then we cut them apart to eat them. Inspired by Meathead's Char Siu ribs, which are cut apart then cooked, I came up with this recipe.

The advantages of this recipe and technique are:
    • The ribs cook much faster (half the time)
    • There's more surface area to absorb smoke and for the rub and sauce
    • More bark
    • Much easier to serve because they already cut apart
    • The ribs are juicy, tender, have a good bite and have much more smoke flavor.

You can see from the pictures below that the smoke "ring" goes all the way to bone!

To make this recipe you will need a smoker or grill that you can keep at a steady 225F. I use a pellet smoker (with a pellet blend of maple-hickory-cherry). If you use a grill, set it up for 2-zone cooking as we want to cook these over indirect heat.

I have only made this recipe with baby back ribs, and the timings and temperature are tested for that. It took me many tries to get the timing right and it gives proven results, so please make it my way before you try anything else. Having said, that, others have found this also works for St. Louis cut ribs with the same temp and timings. I suspect full spares would behave the same.

Rinse the rack of ribs and then remove the membrane. Cut the ribs into singles. This is much easier to do from the back as you can see the bones.

Put them in a gallon zip lock bag with the rub. The rub is my version of Meathead’s Memphis Dust. My version adds back the salt used in the original recipe because we want these ribs dry-brined. My recipe is at the end. If you use a different rub, make sure it has salt. Toss them well to coat and then put them in the refrigerator for 6 hours (or longer). I try to do mine the day before. Every few hours, turn the bag over to make sure the ribs get an even coating of the rub.

When you are ready to cook, put them on a grill pan with holes. They really don’t want to stand up, so I gave up trying and now just lay them on their side. (See the picture below.) If you use a stainless steel pan, prep the pan with a light coating of oil to make cleanup easier and to make sure the ribs can be removed as easily and cleanly as possible.

Smoke them at 225F for 2.5 hours. Apply BBQ sauce at 2 hours in, so it bakes on for half an hour. I use bottled sauce and right now my favorite is Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory and Brown Sugar, but the original is good too. Baste the sauce on as heavy or light as you like, getting it on the edge facing up and on the top (which will be facing sideways). I have experimented with saucing the top and side, then turning the rib over to sauce the side that is down. I didn’t find that it was worth the effort.

At the 2.5 hour mark, remove from the smoker and serve. The total time here is 2.5 hours. The timing and temperatures are critical to success. Let them go longer and you will overcook them. Since they are individual, the margin for error is much smaller than for a whole rack.

Mark’s Blasphemy Rub:
    6 tbs turbinado sugar (aka sugar in the raw)
    2 tbs paprika
    1 tbs sea salt (table salt grind)
    1 tbs granulated garlic powder
    1.5 tsp black pepper
    1.5 tsp granulated onion powder
    .5 tsp ground ginger

This amount of rub will last for 2-3 batches of Blasphemy Ribs.

Ribs on the pan (cooked):

Some close-ups of the ribs with the side cut:

And off the top:

The finished ribs:

And finally some "serving suggestions":

Attached Files
    Last edited by mgaretz; May 28, 2019, 09:43 AM.

Yumm for sauce on ribs they look delicious 😋
    beautiful smoke ring as well. Nice cook brother.

Comment

Dang! Where have you been mgaretz ?

Thanks for the tip. I have to give this a try.

Comment

Great idea, and great results. I've been thinking about doing that - you may have pushed me over the edge.

Comment

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Comment

Nice cook. Have not seen you post for a while. Welcome back. Did they become tender with such a short cook, or remained quite chewy?

Comment

Cool idea!

Comment

Originally posted by jgreen View Post
                Nice cook. Have not seen you post for a while. Welcome back. Did they become tender with such a short cook, or remained quite chewy?
                Yup. Even used the word tender in my description!

Comment

• jgreen
                  jgreen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha. Missed that. Sorry.

Beautiful lookin' ribs!
                Great to hear from ya', brother!
                Been too long!

Comment

mgaretz, Why Did You Post This in the Middle of My Night❓ I had to Wait until Morning to See Your Post‼️
                  That Doesn't Seem Fair, IMHOP❗️
                  👍👍👍👍👍 🤗😇🤗
                  Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Wow check out the mega smoke ring. I love to bake sauce onto the ribs, always been a favorite way of mine. Good looking cook there my friend!!!

Comment

Do you pull them based off time alone or do you attempt to take their temperature?
                      Last edited by Attjack; October 20, 2017, 08:26 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Those ribs look great! I’m gonna have to give this a try. Im also interested in the answer to Attjack ‘s question :-)

Comment

• JGo37
                          JGo37 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think you could thermapen somewhere. I find it's hard to trust with single ribs unless you check several, in several spots.

Very nice looking!!!

Comment

You just shook up my whole plan, mgaretz ! That may not be a bad thing. I've got 6 racks of baby backs to cook tomorrow morning. Have to turn 40 bones in for people's choice and 8 in a box for the contest. I was going to hang in the drum, but I may hang a while then finish them this way. Thanks so much for sharing and good to "see" you in the Pit!

Comment

• tbob4
                            tbob4 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Good luck!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here