Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buckboard Bacon Burnt Ends . . . Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buckboard Bacon Burnt Ends . . . Experiment

I typically cut the excess layer of fat off the top of Boston Butt before smoking to make pulled pork. Frequently, I have cut off the fat layer plus about an inch of meat and used this to make buckboard bacon. This time, I decided to try "buckboard bacon burnt ends". Here's what a piece of the raw material looked like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Raw.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	397988

I cured 3 one pound slabs in Meathead's maple bacon cure (with about 2/3 of the recipe's salt). Cured for a week then rinsed thoroughly. Then to the PBC and hung for about 2 hours to an IT of 180º. Used a couple of cherry chunks:

Name:	Barrel.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	397989

Smoked buckboard bacon:

Name:	Smoked.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	397990

Cut up into cubes, added a generous quantity of MMD, some orange blossom honey and then about ¼ cup of maple sugar:

Name:	Rubbed.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	397991

Poked a hole in the aluminum pan to allow some of the fat to drain out. (Also placed another aluminum pan on a lower grate in the PBC to catch the drained fat). Back into the PBC for 3 more hours, and done.

Sweet - salty - crunchy - goodness! Can't eat just one.

Name:	Done.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	397992

That is freeking gorgeous! Nice work!

Comment

Yum!

Comment

I can feel my heart slowing down just looking a t t h i s......

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          No worry, these were made from a new low cholesterol, high omega-3 pig (NOT)

Righteous

Comment

Wow! I am sure you can’t just eat one! Looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I can eat just one.

One tray that is.
            I’m feeling my artery's closing up as we speak. 👍👊

Comment

Wow. Those look awesome.

Comment

Holy cow! Those look great. I am trying my hand at bacon for the first time this weekend and I have thought about buckboard bacon....but now I just want those burnt ends.....

Comment

Dyna-MITE!

Comment

Oh my... !!! That looks awesome!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here