Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First butt, 2 stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First butt, 2 stalls

​​​ ​​​ ​​​ So I smoked my first Boston Butt yesterday. Cut it in 2 pieces, as I (a) didn't have time to do a whole butt, and (b) wanted more delicious bark. Set up the snake method the night before, and dry brined with sea salt (what I had on hand). Made a semi-MMD (ground rosemary didn't arrive in time), and started at 7:45 AM. Windy day, so I had some issues trying to keep the temp steady. I hit the first stall at about 157, Hung there for about 2 hours. Then when it hit 183, it stalled again for another hour. Now I should add that I had to add more coal after it had been there for about 30 min's. Has anybody had this happen to them before? I told my wife that it was just a stubborn pig, lol. I pulled it off once it hit 196, and it turned out great, but it was a 12 hour cook on something I thought should take about 8. The total weight on the butt was 6.75 Lbs, and I would guesstimate 3 and 3.75 on the 2 pieces. Any ideas/suggestions?

What temp were you cooking at? Pigs can be stubborn (as can cattle ). They are however very forgiving and I wouldn't be at all adverse to cooking a butt at 275 or better. They will still sometimes, do as they please and they are done when they are done. Good idea to always give your cook more time than you thing you will need. Way easier to "hold" the meat than hold back a hungry crowd...

Comment

• SoCalTim
      SoCalTim commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with Horse Doc - Butts are very forgiving, you can raise the temp as high as 350 - which is called a ‘Turbo Cook’ .. in fact, you can do the whole cook @ 350 and finish it in 5 hrs or so. No one will ever know you didn’t slave over it for hours open hours.

Agree with HorseDoctor starting early and having to hold is soooo much better then dealing with hungry folks. Yes, have seen multipal stalls on one hunk of meat.

Comment

• Nightrayne
      Nightrayne commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, I have had double stalls on pork butts before. Usually I only get a single stall when cooking hot (275-300) - more likely to get a double on low and slow (210-230)

Yep. As mentioned above, it jus' so happens that some pieces of meat are jus' ornery, an recalcitrant!
    Multiple stalls certainly ain't unheard of...
    Ya' done good, an' learned some new things, here, to help ya' plan yer next cooks...

Btw, yer pics ain't made it here, to Kansas Territory... leastwise, not yet.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 18, 2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Can't see the pics here either... I bet it looks great though. What are you cooking on?

Comment

• sdenue57
        sdenue57 commented
        Editing a comment
        Weber kettle

No Pictures. MARCO........ c

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Polo

My first boston butt cook stalled twice also...I didn't think it was ever going to get to temp...Since then I have only had one other cook stall twice...But I also wrap most of the time now which helps with the stall issues.

Comment

Cooking temp ranged between 225-235, on a Weber kettle. Figured I wasn't the only person to have 2 stalls. Not sure what's going on with the pics. Funny thing is I can see them using my desktop, but they don't come up on my phone. Weird.

Comment

No pics for me, phone or laptop.

Comment

I’m sure the results were great! I’ve had two stalls. No biggie. 12-hours seems normal for a 225F cook on a PB.

Comment

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, cuttin' hunk in half doesn' apparently do a whole helluva lot to accelerate cook time; it does provide more available surface area to brine, rub, smoke, season, etc., though.
              Two halves of a PB are still ~ th' same thickness, an' will take remarkably near as long to achieve desired probe tender, or IT...

Comment

• sdenue57
                sdenue57 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure worked out that way for me, lol.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here