Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big cook on PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWCowles
    replied
    Looks good!

Leave a comment:

• Sasquatch
    replied
    More pics. My finished ribs. And the piggy the club roasted
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Looks great! Hey! Some people pay extra for that crunchy crust!! Congrats!

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats! That PBC is a beast!

• Sasquatch
    replied
    Thanks for all the advice! Cook came out great! Had to crack the like for about the first hour too keep the temps up around 275. After that closed lid and let it go for a total of about 3 hours. I almost lost a rack. I was opening lid to sauce and one rack let go. Luckily I ran back to kitchen and grabbed some tongs. Only got a slightly charred bottom couple of ribs. Cut the off and ate them myself! Tasted fine to me! Everyone at the mug club loved the ribs! Thanks for all the advice!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jlhilden
    replied
    The main issue with the PBC loaded with racks of ribs will be the drippings quenching the fire. I have found that lighting the PBC per the official directions on their website and cooking 4 or more racks will cool the PBC down below 200. For 4 or more racks, you need to fire up per fzxdoc thread and give those coals a good running start. Even then, about an hour into the cook, you might have to crack the lid depending on the weather.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Awwww, thanks guys! I've gotten some great tips from you as well. It goes both ways.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Great tip! I always do the same.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    That’s why we call her the DOC!! Invaluable tips, as always.

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    Yup III. It’s what I do.

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    Yup II.

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    Yup!
    One exception, as Jerod Broussard would say, lack the crid.
    Last edited by FireMan; October 17, 2017, 07:16 PM.

• phoccer
    replied
    Hook 'em lower down the rack than you might normally so they don't hang too close to the coals. I did that a couple weeks ago to avoid cutting them in half. I hooked about 3 or 4 ribs down and let the top droop over. You'll need all the hooks for that cook so that's a way to keep 'em up.

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    Are you on Noah's payroll yet? Seriously doc your ability to easily come up with ways to manipulate the PBC makes me envious! Thanks for another tip!

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Those ribs will put out more moisture than you would think, so, as many folks here have said, do what you can to keep the temps as high as possible. I've had great success with substituting the rebars with thinner stainless steel rods for poultry cooks where I want temps in excess of 400°F. That lets more air in through the rebar holes and keeps the temps up. The stainless rods can hold a fair amount of weight, I've found.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here