Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big cook on PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big cook on PBC

The "Mug Club" that I belong too at a local bar in town is doing a pig roast this Sunday. They want me to complement the cook with as many racks of ribs I can do on my PBC. I told them that it can do up to 8 racks. I have done 4 racks a few time as well as multiple pork shoulders and chicken halves. I have never done that many racks of ribs all at once. I am wondering if anyone as some tips or advice for a large cook like this on the PBC.

Thanks

I've done 3 racks and a 15lb brisket at same time. I would think you will need to let the temp get higher then normal before putting in that much meat.

Comment

I did this cook last summer. 9 Racks. Had a problem keeping the temp(s) stable @ the 290 or so I wanted - ended up having to open lower vent to half-way (I live at sea level) and cracking the lid. Approx cooking time for BB's were in the 4 hr range. It was magical. Click image for larger version  Name:	zion pbc.jpg Views:	1 Size:	142.3 KB ID:	396881
      Last edited by SoCalTim; October 17, 2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Loaded!!

I don’t have A PBC, but I recently did 8 racks of Baby Backs on my 26” Kettle. It was a bit of a struggle. It’s a lot of meat and it is gonna need more fuel to get you there. I am sure some of the PBC masters will jump in, but my advice would be to get it hottter than usual to manage the extra load.
      PS, please send me a picture Sasquatch I know many people who have been searching for you.

Comment

One thing to watch out for is length of the racks. Evidently the ones I buy at my local grocery store, if hung at full length, would be dragging in the charcoal. So I typically halve mine before hanging (and the most I've done is 4 racks at one time). If yours end up being too long, you may have to trim one or two ribs off of each one.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great tip! I always do the same.

All you need to do is make sure your charcoal is piping hot when you throw it in the PBC and make sure you monitor the temp. If it is running low, open the bottom damper and/or crack the lid. It should chug through those in no time.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup!
          One exception, as Jerod Broussard would say, lack the crid.
          Last edited by FireMan; October 17, 2017, 07:16 PM.

Those ribs will put out more moisture than you would think, so, as many folks here have said, do what you can to keep the temps as high as possible. I've had great success with substituting the rebars with thinner stainless steel rods for poultry cooks where I want temps in excess of 400°F. That lets more air in through the rebar holes and keeps the temps up. The stainless rods can hold a fair amount of weight, I've found.

Kathryn

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup II.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s why we call her the DOC!! Invaluable tips, as always.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Awwww, thanks guys! I've gotten some great tips from you as well. It goes both ways.

Hook 'em lower down the rack than you might normally so they don't hang too close to the coals. I did that a couple weeks ago to avoid cutting them in half. I hooked about 3 or 4 ribs down and let the top droop over. You'll need all the hooks for that cook so that's a way to keep 'em up.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup III. It’s what I do.

The main issue with the PBC loaded with racks of ribs will be the drippings quenching the fire. I have found that lighting the PBC per the official directions on their website and cooking 4 or more racks will cool the PBC down below 200. For 4 or more racks, you need to fire up per fzxdoc thread and give those coals a good running start. Even then, about an hour into the cook, you might have to crack the lid depending on the weather.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! Cook came out great! Had to crack the like for about the first hour too keep the temps up around 275. After that closed lid and let it go for a total of about 3 hours. I almost lost a rack. I was opening lid to sauce and one rack let go. Luckily I ran back to kitchen and grabbed some tongs. Only got a slightly charred bottom couple of ribs. Cut the off and ate them myself! Tasted fine to me! Everyone at the mug club loved the ribs! Thanks for all the advice!
          Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats! That PBC is a beast!

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great! Hey! Some people pay extra for that crunchy crust!! Congrats!

More pics. My finished ribs. And the piggy the club roasted
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here