Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like I'll have to cure A LOT of meats...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I'll have to cure A LOT of meats...

Decided to give it a go at making my own bacon. Planned a wet cure based on the Cuban inspired bacon that Ballistic BBQ did on his YouTube channel. Had all the ingredients at home, minus prague #1. I ordered it off Amazon, not really looking at how big the package was.

Two Pounds. My first batch of bacon (2 1/5 lbs) required 1 tsp. Whoops. Looks like I'm going to have to research curing meats...

I did the same thing!

Comment

I bought a pound of Prague #1 on amazon and that seems like it may last me several years.

Oh, besides bacon ..... corned beef and pastrami for the win!

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Second the motion for Pastrami!

Well, it should keep.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

It will last you for a looooong time. Here is some info on curing meats. Make sure to read and understand this article before you cure anything. And use our recipe. It is proven to be safe and we can walk you through it.

It is not hard but there are things you HAVE to get right. Make sure to ask questions, if you have ANY at all. We are here to help.

Comment

After you have your first slice of home made bacon you'll realise you didn't order enough pink salt....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here