Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Bacon

Hello! I cured some bacon this week, about 2.5lbs of it, with Meathead's Maple Bacon recipe, using pure honey as a substitute. I made the mistake of not removing the skin (I completely forgot until before I was going to smoke it yesterday), so as you can see, the cure wouldn't stick to some parts of the slab, which I found weird:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-10-13 at 10.38.26 AM.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	394610

The flavor was pretty good. I went with coarse black pepper, next time I'll go with a finer grind. I wanted to ask, however, how you guys slice and cook the bacon. I used a slicer to crank out some nice-looking strips, and put them into the oven at 400f for about 20-25 minutes. They were still a little tough and not as juicy. I don't normally like to use the frying pan as they tend to burn. I know they won't be as crispy as store bought bacon, but they were a little tough and not as moist. I'm guessing some of it has to do with the skin still being on. Any tips for making this bacon juicier?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 10-13-17, 10 40 09 AM.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	394611

Thanks!

I generally don't rub after the cure, and do leave the skin on for the smoke part. Then after pulling it out and letting it cool a little (to "handleable"), I take a boning/fileting knife and slice the skin off the top. It's really easy at that point. Cool a bit more and throw in the fridge, then take it out and slice and portion into vac bags.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      It just comes off so easily while it's still warm that I'd never do it differently. Well, never say never, eh?

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF I didn't rub after the cure, but I didn't rinse. I like the extra condiment on top. I'll try to remove the skin from the rest tonight, and we'll see how it goes.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck, Boss!

If you are going to fry them in a pan, make sure the heat is medium. All that sugar can burn easily in a hot pan.

Comment

I buy my pork belly at Costco. It comes in a cryovac and the skin has been removed already. For $2.99/lb that is hard to beat!

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Same!

• 6th Borough BBQ
        6th Borough BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I've only seen Pork Belly already-cut into strips at our Costco

First choice is buy it skin off. Second is skin before cure. Third is skin while still hot after smoking. Not surprised that skin is still chewy after smoking bacon! Takes way higher temps for skin to get crunchy & bacon is well burnt by then.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here