Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modernist Cuisine pork ribs technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modernist Cuisine pork ribs technique

Has anyone done Modernist Cuisine’s cooking technique on pork ribs?

“Smoke at 65C / 149F and 60% relative humidity for 7 hours, vacuum seal and cook sous vide at 60C / 140F for 48 hours.
    Apply rub just before serving and flash with blow-torch or brown as desired.”

The 65C bit is what surprises me – doesn’t it have to get up to 95C to break down the tough tissue etc or does very long cooking at a lower temperature still achieve this?

Love to know if anyone has done any sort of meat using this method – whats the flavour and texture like, compared to standard technique?

That is cold smoking. We don't recommend smoking under 200, with 225 a safer option.

And yes, long sous vide cooks will break down plenty.

Comment

I wouldn’t smoke that low for safety reasons ( air is not as efficient so it takes a long time to get the center above 130 and you need to get it over 130 within 6 hours and keep it above 130 for a few hours after that to be safe), but if you’re willing to give up the smoke, sous vide at 72 hrs at 130-135 will break down the ribs nicely (or 140 for 36 hours etc). Connective tissue does break down at lower temp it just takes much longer.

You could also smoke at 225 for an hour of two then bag and SV/finish to your liking. Can’t get a good bark this way but sometimes a decent sear at the end and perfectly done meat is okay. Or smoke at the end after an ice bath chill.

I dont know why we call it "Sous-Vide-Que" or when we should be calling this technique "Smoke on the Water" :-)

note: Never trust anyone’s times or temps for safety always double check before applying. Above temps are examples only.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoke Under Water, maybe. I much prefer Sous-B-Q. No one says Sous Vide Que.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here