Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slice Boston Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slice Boston Butt

I'm wanting to do a boston butt for slicing but never done one before. Does MH have a topic on smoking a boston butt for slicing? If not can someone give me tips on doing one like what temp to take it to, debone or not. Thanks in advance

DW,
    I'm not sure if MH does or not, but I'm sure he does. I would cook the butt the same as I usually do. I wouldn't worry about deboning it ether. It will effect your nice slices. I would use the same temp, rub, everything else, with the exception of the wrap. When the internal gets to 165 or just North there of, I would pull it off. I would then wrap it, add liquid if need be. However, at that temp its probably not needed. I would keep it wrapped up for at least 1 1/2 hours in a Cambro. Not saying its right or wrong that's just how I would do it. Good luck my friend

Comment

I talked to a guy last year when I was at BBQ judge class and he was competing and vending and he takes them of at 165 for slicing the money muscle I was interested because you have to leave it attached to the butt, but when doing pulled 203 was perfect for the pulled but not for the muscle. have also heard that 190 195 was good for slicing
      Last edited by Papa Bob; December 11, 2014, 04:45 PM. Reason: i dont think it really makes a difference in leaving the bone in other than keeping it togheather

Comment

I think that I will try this technique

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Malcolm is a good man and a great cook

I almost always slice mine. Not that I mind pulled pork, it's great, I just tend to prefer slices for some reason. I cook it exactly like a "normal" butt, but stay slightly shy of the 203° F target temp. Works like a charm.

Comment

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik is mulled wine called glögg in Swedish?

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Correctamundo! Glögg is the name.

Regarding wines; I'll let you decide. After all, you and your family will be drinking most of it :-)

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          If I remember correctly you liked the Argentinian Malbec's. I have tried some commercial ones but, I didn't care for them. I am still trying to find one that I like.

In MH's Pulled Pork recipe he says "If it is time to serve and it is still not at the ideal temp, just slice the meat. Don't pull it because it won't shred easily. Slices of smoked pork butt are wonderful."

So, as Henrik says stay south of 203. You might stay south of 195, like 190 range.

What time is Dinner DW???

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          I will let you know Barry. It's going to be sometime during my 10 day Christmas break.

That's exactly true Barry. My first attempt at pulled pork, before discovering AmazingRibs and learning of the faux cambro hold technique, was way too tough tp pull, so I sliced it and we loved it. It was the best "ham" I'd ever had. As longs as it's 145 or over it can be sliced.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee I had some at a BBQ joint in Texas not to long ago and I've been wanting to slice my own ever since.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          DWC, I think it's better than real ham, of which I'm not a big fan. The chewy rub-heavy bark, it's like a pork brisket.

I almost always slice mine. It goes over really well with everyone. I think the tendeness catches them by surprise.

Comment

Same flavor, less time, and it won't (or shouldn't) end up in my sons lap ..... definitely trying this next time, and I think next time will be New Years Day. Thanks guys.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here