Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's experiment, give me some ideas to test for my pork butt cook this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _John_
    replied
    I thought about injecting, but I don't think I will this time. I am trying to have the meat as consistent as possible for the other stuff and can't guarantee that I could inject them both the same. I do like that idea for the future though.

Leave a comment:

• fracmeister
    replied
    Injected with say apple juice and one of the msg containing powders vs uninjected

That would be useful

Leave a comment:

• HC in SC
    replied
    What spinnaker sez!

Leave a comment:

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    Ditto this. That is an awesome compare / contrast!

• Spinaker
    replied
    John,
    Looks good to me. I'll be interested to see the results (with pictures of course)

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    4 butts it is! So there have been a few things floating around about how long to let each sit, and how much to use.
    My plan is this, though perfectly amenable to change:
    1. Add baking soda to the salt I use for dry brining
      • 1/2 tsp per pound of salt as usual, and a 1:4 ratio of baking soda per Dr Blonder
    2. Dry brine 2 butts with salt alone (GroupA) and the other 2 (GroupB) with the salt/baking soda mixture for 24 hours
    3. Add EVOO to one from GroupA and one from GroupB, then do the other two with mustard.
    4. Add rub and let sit while pit is coming online
    5. Cook as usual.
    How do these steps sound? I know there has been some debate about applying the whole mess 24 hours in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I was going to suggest the 4 butts thing, but I didn't want to seem overly pushy with my preference for small butts. Pork butts that is. I like pig butts and I cannot lie.

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    I wouldn't say given up... the first cook was going to be for dinner, this one is for lunch. I'll have to listen again, but I think he said add 2 hours?

• David Parrish
    replied
    I vote for a split into 4 butts. Treat them as you usually would but try 4 different variations with mustard, EVOO, and baking soda. 1. Mustard and baking soda 2. Mustard 3. EVOO and baking soda. 4 EVOO

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Have you given up on the frozen vs thawed? I think that's a first ever here at The Pit.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    So I didn't get to do this last weekend, but we are go for Sunday. Since last week though I think we've basically come to a conclusion on the mustard slather. So what shall I do?
    If nobody has anything better, I will try adding baking powder/soda to one (or split the butts and do both) or wake up really early and do a side by side of wrapped vs unwrapped.

Leave a comment:

• HC in SC
    replied
    I'll 3rd the mustard slather.

Maybe it is all mental, but I swear the meat seems more tender when you add a heavy bath of mustard for the vinegar to breakdown the meat and a good 'glue' for the rub.

Going forward I may or may not wrap at the stall; but doggone it I will always rub the butt with HRR, mustard slather, wrap and put in the fridge as long as I can prior to cooking / smoking.

On another note you could try different wood smoke flavors on each one. I am partial to apple on butts.

Good luck!
    Last edited by HC in SC; December 10, 2014, 08:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I always split. Personally I would make those 2 6lbers into 4 ~3lbers. More bark, more seasoning!

I like the idea of another wrapped vs non-wrapped. Henrik did that a month or two ago. Results were interesting. Also HC in SC got me wondering about a long pre-cook mustard slather affecting bark. Next up I would opt for the frozen one vs thawed, to plot the times as well as the visuals and the taste on each. That would be a cool test.

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    I had to prove the mustard thing to myself, so a couple days ago I slathered my beef ribs with mustard and let it sit in the fridge for 2 days, then put rub on them real quick and put them on the PBC... I could not tell the difference, although the ribs were really good And they cooked about 4 hours.

It would be fun to experiment more with that, but need to set up a better experiment.

Leave a comment:

• mtford72
    replied
    I was going to suggest exactly the same as Spinaker. This mustard slather needs to be resolved! No one says they can taste the mustard, but then they compliment the bark. Could it be a vinegar contribution? The test might need to be 3 for control: Mustard Slather; Oil or fat; Vinagrette (some vinegar, just not overpowering).

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here