Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No stall pork butt????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No stall pork butt????

How often does anyone experience cooking a pork butt and have NO stall??
    Using my LSG and keeping temps for the most part between 220* and 275*. The cook started 6:30am and finished at 8:00pm. So 13-1/2hrs total. The only difference in this cook was that I used for the first time a bone in butt.
    Also I never wrapped this one cause I didn't have to.

On a side note I also did 2 3-1/2lb chuckies at the same time. Both chuckies went into a stall at160* and lasted for aprox 2-1/2hrs. Which is what I expected out of all 3 pieces of meat.
    Anyway the results for the chuckies were great and for the butt after pulling was a little mushy. Not bad but not as good this time.
    Any ideas???? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	381344Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	381343

This has not happened to me unless I am cooking on the KBQ. I would guess it was because of airflow in the LSG. Sometimes it just helps to power it threw the stall. I don't think it is because of the bone, I did a bone in butt last weekend and that sucker took 17 hours, unwrapped. She stalled out for 5 hours or more.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think it anything to with the bone either.
      It was just strange to have NO stall. On the other hand I'm really glad it didn't stall for 5hrs like yours did. That would have put me into the 2am range to be finished like yours.

Pretty sure it has to do with air flow. I would say about 75% of the time I avoid the stall on my big Traeger, but will get it every time on the Weber22.

Comment

At CaptainMike and Spinaker you guys might be right. Now that I think about it I used the firebox door to regulate my temps instead of the vents. Which by the way made it easier to control the temps and also when adding more fuel keep the heavier smoke out of the cooking chamber.

Comment

I can't graph my cooks, but what do you define as a stall? Flatline? Generally my experience with my GMG is a couple of degrees upward per hour, it never stays at one temp for multiple hours.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          To me a stall is pretty much a flat line.
          Like the chuckies I did at the same time. Both hit 160 and stayed there for almost 2-1/2hrs. Previous butts that I've done always "flat lined" for at least a couple of hours. But as I said above it may have been the different way I managed the temps.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here