Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Try at a fattie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try at a fattie

I was going to make a couple of pizzas. Unfortunately, the dough was frozen solid. So I had to figure out what to do. I decided on a fattie. I grabbed a lb. of sausage and just over a pound of ground pork. Mixed them together and split them into 2 bags. I rolled one of them out. I fried up a bag of Simply Potatoes. I put them on the rolled out meat and put a handful of grated cheese on it and rolled things out.

I had already preheated the grill to 225 or so. I took the fattie out to the grill, went to pick it up and it split wide open. I was surprised it didn't stay together.

Back to the kitchen. I rolled out the other half of the meat. I rolled that around the split fattie. I also put the fattie onto one of those fiber reinforced non-stick grill sheets. Onto the grill. I put some apple wood on the coals and 1.5 hours later, the fattie was 160-ish.

Here's a shot of the finished fattie.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	qK84IELJ17sgBGmhFGV1XRQCDONhnlpRa-p_t3sPCjfqPYoEi2isyqttNo_PZ2H7aHDrPf-KxPMSsHQbP2wRGRsAAq-Re0MiZUYNjKtZ3EcE7oSUe1YmS57jhbO_STs2RiK9rA_zmWNCrSYa4gmIx9COeqYtANkfBqrD0PHbUnHiRfK9s6qPPuRzr3Q-9uBTg_wVgYAK5n8tk84Tn21rgv95KnHFZPqDnHD9uZMsfnlCti-EZ5Z9Lrj27r8nyf8
Views:	101
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	377052

It was really good. Next time I have to put some bacon around it, but I've found in the past that it is possible to have too much bacon. The big deal with this is my wife didn't complain about the smoke messing up her stomach. I may just need to use the expensive charcoal.

Too much bacon?

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      My thoughts also!

Great Fattie! Congrats! :cool!!!!

Too Much Bacon??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Interrogative???

Comment

Two things you can't have, too much fun and too much bacon!

Comment

Yeah, I thought the same thing, but my first ever fattie, that bacon weave was too much. Might have been the combination of the bacon and sausage.

Next time, I will have some bacon on it, but it won't be an entire slab of bacon. Maybe I won't weave it as tightly.

But like I said, the BIG deal is I put smoke on it and my wife didn't bitc... I mean comment that the smoke was messing with her stomach. I made sure I pointed this out to her. So, pulled pork in the KJ is in my future.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
          Pirate Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife says she doesn't care for the Smoke.( she still enjoys the final results which is odd) It does not bother her stomach though. Maybe try less wood or a different type? Maybe there is an allergic reaction?

I've been stressing out over this. I replaced my grill with the KJ. I had it for about 2 weeks and cooked a bunch on it. My wife tells me that the "smoke is causing me stomach issues." I think that I've just wasted $1,000. I'm thrilled to find that she didn't complain about this meal messing with her stomach and I actually added apple wood to the coals, so there was smoke this time.

Here's hoping I can convince her to try some pulled pork, brisket, smoked salmon, etc.

I think the bacon issue was it was smoked bacon, smoked sausage and I over smoked it in my homemade mini-wsm.

So maybe it isn't the too much bacon thing, it could be too much smoke.

Comment

Looks tasty.

Comment

Looks delicious. My (and mostly my kids') favorite way to make something similar is to take a sausage roll and unwrap it whole. Roll it in brown sugar to coat it 360, and grill it indirectly at any normal temp, with smoke, until 165. Mmmm, the best way I've ever had sausage!

Comment

I would definitely eat that. Looks great.

Comment

Looks great and sounds delicious!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here