Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork - Sous vide then smoked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork - Sous vide then smoked

This weekend was my latest attempt at pulled porking using both the sous vide and smoker. I had about a 5 lb pork shoulder from Costco, rubbed it in Meathead's Memphis Dust and salt and let sit overnight in the fridge. Then cooked it sous vide at 165 degrees for 24 hours followed by an immediate ice bath. The next day I rubbed it with some more MMD and then smoked at 275-300 for about two hours. Pics below are rubbed (raw), rubbed again after sous vide, on the smoker and then off the smoker. You can see it started to pull apart as I removed it from the smoker with the tongs (need to get some gloves)

As you can see in pic 3, I threw some ABTs on the grate at the end of the pulled pork. I ultimately pulled the pork and mixed with a vinegar/mustard sauce and then made pulled pork empanadas with the pork. The Michigan football (go blue!) was about to start so I didn't get a picture of the sauced pork or the finished empanadas but they turned out well.

The pulled pork was a bit drier than last time I did this but was still pretty good and had a good bark, decent smoke flavor and a small smoke ring. Next time I may dial the sous vide temp down to 160

Pics not showing

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Weird - I see the pictures in the original post. I tried to re-post the pics in order below...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5088.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	375421Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5090.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	375420Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5092.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	375423Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5093.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	375422

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Seeing them now!

Lookin' good.

Comment

The pork looks great and UM looked great as well (which is hard for me to say being a lifelong Spartan).

Comment

I think the dryness is coming from the smoking temp. Try to smoke it at a lower temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here