Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork First Go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork First Go!

Planning on making my first Pork Butt on Labor Day!

I have my gas grill with 2 zone setup, wood to put in my Grill Grates to make smoke, and Smoke thermometer to have 1 probe in the meat and 1 in the grill.

I'm dry brining with Kosher salt, made the Memphis Dust rub, and have some East Carolina Mop Sauce chilling in the fridge.

The meat I got from the butcher was 6.3 pounds (bone in).

1. Going low and slow like Meathead says, how long do you think it will take to cook fully?

2. What am I forgetting/any advice that you've learned after doing pork butt yourself?

I do not have a gasser so not much I can help with other then pork butt can take higher heat. So don't get stuck with holding at 225*. Best thing is to start early and finish early. You can wrap it up and put in cooler or oven to keep warm (over 140*) until you're ready to eat. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

If you're following Meathead's recipe, you can't go wrong. That's how I cut my teeth in the smoking world. As he states, butts are a little forgiving.

As for the duration of the cook, do you plan on wrapping?

Is this your first smoke ever or just your first butt? Send pics and good luck!!

Comment

Following the directions will lead to Great Food! I would guess 12-14 hours if you don't wrap.

Comment

You may want to add a water pan to help with the smoke flavor. Here's Meatheads link on setting up a gasser.

You can set up a gas grill to get excellent smoke roasted barbecue if you know how. Here's how gas grills work, the best setups, and how to maintain them.

You get more bark by cutting them in half.

Also, don't forget your cooking log and pics.

You got this!

Comment

In a gasser with a lot of moisture be prepared for the stall, a long stall. I would suggest paying tension to that, cranking her up at the 160 ish andblow through it or wrap. I don't know your cooker but my old genesis (the ex got it) held a seriously moist chamber. Good luck!

Comment

How hot is your low zone? How thick is your butt? Thickness is much more important than weight. If your butt was perfectly round that would take longest. If you are running 225 I would guess 12 hours, if shaped like most pork butts. If you are running 275, maybe 9? I'd plan for a longer cook and stow it in a faux cambro if necessary.

Comment

@Vaegeth, I have a 4 Burner Gas Grill but So Far I have Never Smoked a Pork Butt on It! Typically I use a 22 1/2" Weber Kettle with a S 'n S with H2O (Slow 'N Sear), a Drip & Griddle by www.abcbbq.com and DIGIQ DX-2 Temp Control and Fan by THEBBQGURU.COM! and a Drip Pan! In general I try to start the Butt Early enough that it can Spend 3 1/2 - 4 Hrs in a Faux Cambro (Foil Wrapped, Covered With a Bath Towel and in a Cooler! I like to have the Butt at +- 196* before Wrapping the Temp will Climb 10* In the Cooler! The Finished Temp for A Butt is +- 203* this will get You in the Range! Typically I keep the Smoker at 225* - 275* for the first +- 3 1/2 Hrs W / Smoke, Note: longer won't improve the Smoke Flavor of the Butt, then I Raise the Temp of the Smoker to 325* - 375* to Reduce the Stall and Shorten Overall Pit Time? I hope this is Helpful to You! Know that Your Pork Butt will be Delicious 👍👍👍👍👍 ‼️ Consider Putting it on Your Grill (Indirect) 13 - 14 Hrs ahead of Meal Time the Faux Cambro will improve the Moistness of the Pork, and Hold the Temp if the Butt Cooks too Fast❓ Happy Labor Day 👍👍❗️👍👍❗️👍👍
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
                Last edited by Danjohnston949; September 3, 2017, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice! The butt isn't too terribly round, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.
                  Planning on eating dinner at 6pm so I'm going to be getting up super early It is both my first smoke and butt...gonna need some luck haha.

Comment

Just remember that butt is very forgiving. If you need to speed it up, don't be afraid to turn up the heat. I'd rather finish it faster and give it time in the cambro than to pull it off the grill and immediately serve.

Comment

Going well so far! Here was the initial setup:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	4KMQUxD.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	374578
                      I've since added another container of wood (total of 16 oz by now per Meathead's recipe).

Currently keeping temp around 250-260F; the pork is at 154.8 after 3 hours. Hoping to push through the stall...

The wind is starting to be annoying :/
                      Last edited by Vargeth; September 4, 2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looking good!

I pushed through the stall and things are looking nice! Currently at 191F. The wind has been annoying though...when I opened the lid, the wind picked up and blew one of the ash boxes over (hence the white speckles in the background and ash in the grates). Luckily I don't think the meat cares!

Name:	File_001.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	374575Click image for larger version

Name:	File_002.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	374576Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	374577

Comment

That ash might just brush right off the meat. Sometimes ash can taste bitter, Vargeth .

It's looking good!

Kathryn

Comment

Success! Delicious bark! Very tender! Everyone left pleased! Thanks for all the help!

Name:	IMG_8896.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	374868Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8899.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	374869Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8897.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	374870Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8901.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	374871

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                            Mr. Bones commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Y'all missed a couple chunks, on th' bone, there....
                            Beautiful Job, My Friends!
                            Remember some slaw, next time out, hmmm?

• fzxdoc
                            fzxdoc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Niiiiiiice!

• Mike Nilsen
                            Mike Nilsen commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The only thing I see wrong in the above photos is that there isn't any mac on the sammy. Good god man!!

Looking good dude.

Looks awesome! Nice job

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here