Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue on your ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue on your ribs?

Hey all, I pulled my ribs out of the fridge a few minutes ago after dry brining overnight and there are some blue spots on them... I've never seen this before. They were double wrapped in foil. Nothing on top or below them.

See attached pictures.

Attached Files

Maybe a reaction to the salt and foil

Comment

This is dye from a grading or inspection stamp. It is basically, food coloring. Nothing to worry about. For some reason, the dry brining can make it more prevalent.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        The movement of fluids (water) caused by the salt also disperses the water soluble dye. Can trim of wanted but no problem.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha. Thanks Doc! HorseDoctor

Thanks Spinaker, I haven't got anyone sick yet and would prefer to keep that a perfect record!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You bet! As we all do! Don't be a stranger around here!

Are you in snowy state? Kinda looks like some salts used to melt snow.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Not yet!!

So know we don't have to worry about food coloring? Geeze I can't keep up!

Comment

When I bought my Picanha from Whole Foods, it also had blue marking. I asked about it and they said it was marking they did using blueberries (of course for Whole Foods!)...

Click image for larger version

Name:	eQA2JsdmW4qGqYYw21bcyjbv3wu5agsLyWJHPQdsjVnfhVY-9GbZgNMTodUI59jkPtUEb0mqjgJ2jsZDLFSEkcM6-uOKng0QiMZxrHo0NgasfUNkOKQSjJxmiArxDlWy-OmwHhp0P4dWEWwZx8W6iN3Yv2cXbU_ir0gUTQC29d2SOxBTiaqjOEWLgXNO6BwGLX7r6Rkvy4vTwv5BE4h05ptN9fSXz7Zh14oK6DLrxq2p21s62aSLiJ_MuG4Al_o
Views:	33
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	373276

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here