Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

26-30 People, How Many

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

26-30 People, How Many

One of the employees that works for the company that services our ac system has 20 of his relatives living in his house right now, as they lost everything in Houston. I volunteered to feed them all Monday with pulled pork. How many lbs of butt do you think it will take to feed 26-30Texans?

Assuming a mix of men, women, and children, I'd say 1/2 pound per person minimum if you have a reasonable selection of sides and you're making sandwiches. So, two 8-lb butts at a minimum. If you did three, there may be some leftover, but I doubt they'd refuse that!

Comment

Rule of thumb is 1/2 LB per person, but yer feedin' Texans so I have no clue, except to say probably more.

Comment

I'd do 3 in the 7-9 lb range. Or go ahead and do 4 and there will be some much needed leftovers. I'm assuming some people will be eating it on their plate and not as a sandwich.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          We're talking Texans who've been through a bunch of stuff. Leftovers won't be wasted.

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          #LeftoverPorkRocks Cook 3, 4th is gravy! Thank you for serving!

50% yield off of purchase weight and at least 6 sammiches per pound cooked. I multiply 0.35 by the number of people. I'd get 15 pounds for leftovers.

Comment

OK, ill do 4 or 5 just to be sure. I really don't want them going to bed hungry. Is this interesting enough to have my wife do a photo shoot?

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            They deserve nothing but the best. Boiling chicken carcassases right now forth injection, and the kitchenaide is spinning to make the rub. About to start cooking down the sauce.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, ask her to document, please...

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            And pictures of the folks too!

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          50% yield off of purchase weight and at least 6 sammiches per pound cooked. I multiply 0.35 by the number of people. I'd get 15 pounds for leftovers.
          Jerod Broussard Have you noticed lately the trim on the Smithfield Prime Reserve that they are selling at Sams? They have trimmed the fat cap down to near just right. Not much fat to trim. I bought a couple cases from Sysco again, and we trimmed a BUNCH of fat. Which is handy when making saute, but not as economical, obviously.

And I don't get nearly 6 sammies per cooked pound! #TooBigOfPortionsOntheRibList

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't do Sam's but the Tyson and pretty much any other cryo packaged butt seem to have much less fat cap than the local tray packed meat market stuff.

I have a good butcher at fresh by brookshires. I will probably not get Berkshire, but Ill still get good butt.

Comment

How big is you cooker. Load it up. Cook as many as you can fit. That's a mighty fine thing you are doing. Nice work my friend!

Comment

Depends on what cooker I use. Will probably use my charbroiled Gasser smoker. Will hold 6-9 butts depending on size

Comment

Quick update. The ranch in my family donated a cooler full of ground beef; the farm, a bushel of taters, a bushel of onions, and a bushel of peppers; and out church their dining room and serving facilities to feed them. This should turn out great. so far the headcount is 28.

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great teamwork! Don't forget the pictures.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sound like it was meant to happen, Fantastic job, y'all, pullin' together!!!

making the injection
                Attached Files

Comment

Unpacking the butts
                  Attached Files

Comment

Injecting, and rubbing.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A man of diligence!

Wrong butt, at least I know my wife is paying aattention...
                    Attached Files

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                      PaulstheRibList commented
                      Editing a comment
                      lol

• Steve R.
                      Steve R. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      She could have at least given you a heads up about that self-inflicted wedgie first! 😆

• Thunder77
                      Thunder77 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I really did NOT need to see that. LOL!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here