Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Cook-Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Cook-Off

Our son and daughter-in-law joined my wife and I for BLTs yesterday (Saturday, August 26) and we cooked Snake River Farms Kurobuta bacon and Hormel Black Label bacon that we bought in our local Publix supermarket. My wife, Kate, didn't get the thick cut Black Label bacon and the Snake River Farms was thick cut, so the comparison was not completely fair. Even so, the Black Label tasted almost as good as the Snake River Farms Kurobuta, which cost $24.67 per pound delivered, compared to the Black Label, which cost $8.99 per pound. Here are pictures. The cooked Snake River Farms bacon is on the right. Our lunch was BLTs and crispy fried Vidalia onion rings. Dessert was pecan pie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bacon Cook Off 002.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	369932

Name:	Bacon Cook Off 010.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	369933Click image for larger version

Name:	Bacon Cook Off 015.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	369934

I have always liked Hormel Black Label bacon. I will take $8.99/pound bacon over $24.67/pound any day!

Comment

In a number of tastings I've seen, Farmland bacon often beats Black Label and it's even cheaper. Can't tell you how much, cause I haven't bought any for years since I started doing my own homemade.

Comment

Well RA you inspires me to want some bacon this morning! Glad to hear your thoughts. My local butcher puts out some dang good thick cut bacon.

Name:	IMG_1316.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	369974

Comment

I've mentioned the stuff I buy at the local farmer's market before, $10.99 / pound. I've never done a side by side comparison, but it's pretty good bacon and only a little more than Hormel. Of course as a Minnesotan you won't see me knocking Hormel.

Comment

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            Everything but the oink!

Beautiful! Me love bacon...😊

Comment

Bacon is gonna have to be pretty special at $24.67 a pound! None for me, thanks!

Comment

Wrights bacon is the best I've found (for our tastes) for store-bought bacon.

But the best bacon ever (IMO of course) is from Mom Wilson's in Delaware, Ohio. Smoky like you wouldn't believe. Was just up there this past couple of weeks, visiting family. Brought 5 lbs back with us.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Heck, get 5 lbs then, ComfortablyNumb. Same shipping costs.

It's seriously good bacon. Tastes like you're sitting over a campfire, snarfing bacon before your co-camper (hopefully slower on the draw) can eat it all up.

P.S. It's not a drive-by, it's a destination.

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks fzxdoc but I raise my own. So, market is the destination and family is just driving past? ;-)

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                When it comes to pork products vs. family, ComfortablyNumb , it's sometimes a tough choice.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here