Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leftover Ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leftover Ribs!

Well this is what I do. When I do ribs I do a bunch. Maybe 12 racks. I usually use the 2-2-1 method. Of course we can not eat that many. Here is a great tip that has worked very well for us.

After the racks cool I cut in half. Put a half rack whole in a Food Saver Vac bag. If it is wet then I will had a little paper towel near the opening to absorb any juice that might get into the vac. channel. Vac em all up and freeze.

A month, 3 or longer when we are camping, vacation etc. we can take them out of the freezer. Right into pan of boiling water without opening the bag. 20 minutes and you will swear they just come off the smoker. Think about it. 30 minutes total to enjoy your own smoked goodness anytime. This works with many foods.

Unexpected company can really get a treat at my house!

Same process works great with pulled pork as well.

Comment

2-2-1 method?

Comment

Yup - we do the same with pulled pork and cooked collard greens.

Comment

A new kitchen gadget required (vacuum bagger) - why not??? Heading to Amazon now...

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          You can use ziploc bags, but you have to 'vacuum suck' them closed.

Why oh why didn't I think of this? I've done this many many times with pulled pork but never ribs. We do a lot of camping and I've hungered many nights for smoked ribs. I've tried using my Q grill for smoking but it doesn't turn out that well. I'll hunger no more!! Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Thanks FisherDee! BTW - what model of FoodSaver do you have? I saw one that did not allow seals directly to boiling.

Comment

I lost a bag of vacuum sealed pulled pork to boiling water. I use gentle simmering water rather than boiling.

Comment

I haven't done it with cooked ribs yet (although I've got a pre-rubbed rack in the freezer this way), but I've done brisket, pulled pork and pork loin. I forego the water method for the microwave - a few minutes with a corner of the bag cut off and you're good to go. In fact, I'm eating some pork loin roast I did with MMD right now - tasty and moist.

@fisherdee - do you put paper towel inside the bag and seal it up with the meat?

@grayfoot - I've got a v2400 series - the cheapo from Costco - $69.99 usually and was on sale for $49.99. It's "manual" but it works great and quickly. For the water method, it suggests a low simmer below 170.

Comment

If you freeze the ribs and then seal them just after they are frozen, the moisture issue goes away. Here's what I do: Seal them without vacuum, but leave the end of the bag extra long. When they are frozen, cut off the original seal and reseal but this time with vacuum. Also a great way to seal liquids like leftover soup or sauce (stand the bags up while they seal).

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Who said an old dog can't learn a new trick (talking about me). Thanks MG

• The Burn
                  The Burn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great thinking.

• mgaretz
                  mgaretz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I meant stand the bags up while they freeze.

Sounds like a good reheating plan fisherdee, and welcome to The Pit! Have you ever tried ribs without wrapping, according to Meathead's Last Meal Ribs recipe? If not, give it a try, put the foil to rest. Let them ribs go until they pass the bend test, you just might be in love.

Since this is one of your first few posts, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos, including how to fully set up your signature!

Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

Here's a great tip for vacuum sealing anything with liquids, including soup, chili, spaghetti sauce, etc: put the liquid in a ziplock bag and force as much air out as you can, using water displacement or straw method. Then close the ziplock, put the bag in your vacuum pouch, and seal it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here